Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisketless in Seattle

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
I just moved to the Seattle area from Texas.  As you can imagine it is quite a change, and while I am enjoying the heck out of the more comfortable summer, I am having a hard time adjusting to lack of quality Mexican food and inability to source a packer brisket.  And dont get me started on your booze taxes.  Anyway, have tried Costco, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Cash and Carry, all with no luck.  Any locals have some advice?  I live in the vicinity of Maple Valley/Covington.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• On the other hand... hope you're enjoying all the fresh salmon and other seafood!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oh definitely.  Copper river season was awesome.  And I'm planning a fishing trip to Ketchikan next summer to procure some salmon and halibut of my own.  But it has probably been 6 months since I've had a brisket and I'm going into withdrawal.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2015
    Qfc Here in Seattle carries packers (Angus). If you can locate a cash and carry, they also have cheap select grade packers @ $3 lb or so. The Angus noted above runs $7.5/lb.

The booze taxes suck makes me drink less so win/win for my health I guess. I'm making a Portland trip, may compare the booze prices.
    Seattle, WA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I just did the reverse.  Moved from the Seattle area to the DFW area and am enjoying all the Mexican food and briskets galore in the local stores, missing the fresh seafood.  Have you tried Restaurant Depot?  If you sign up for a kcbs membership it will allow you to shop there.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Todd-Man
    Todd-Man Posts: 18
    Both the Costco and Cash & Carry near Southcenter have them. At Costco they are in a side room with all of the case sales.
    Seattle, WA
  • @Todd-Man I was just in the Cash & Carry there and they didn't have any.  I will have to check out that Costco though, thanks.
  • @smbishop Enjoy.  I liked DFW a lot.  Do they let you just walk in to RD to check it out or do I have to have the card to even get in?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Butcher shops will get you one. Dude you are in Seafood heaven. Tough gig. I pity you not! LOL. Seriously though, I lived there for a while managing a project. I got tri tips ordered and they kept them for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    You need the card for a one day pass.  I think the only other way is if you have a small business license..  We went to the one in the Seattle industrial area once, bought a bunch of stuff, the meat department was huge, and cold!  Haven't needed to go there here though.  My wife is from Arlington and lived in Seattle for 18 years.  She said the same thing about Mexican food.  I never understood until we moved here.  :)

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cash n carry has angus briskits. Just bought one today here in Olympia.  Also there is a restaurant depot in fife. Beer taxes suck but the beers are great. 
  • Costco business in Lynnwood has a great packer selection. They always have choice. Some Sams carry it. Restaurant Depot usually has everything and their quality is probably good. 
    No decent BBQ, sure there's more than enough mediocre BBQ, and  be glad you have an egg when winter comes and its 45 and raining.  
    No decent Mexican either. At least Chik fil A opened.   Believe me, I'm married to a Texan, and she never fails to remind me of "home".  
    Where you at local wise?
  • OP said MP valley and Covington 
  • Todd-Man
    Todd-Man Posts: 18
    Happened to be at the Southcenter Costco tonight, so did a check. They have whole briskets for $2.99/lb.
    Seattle, WA