Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post, lots of questions, this one's about butt

Options
EgginHomerGA
EgginHomerGA Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Long time lurker delurking, proud owner of a Large BGE that's not been used to it's full potential. First long and slow this weekend, 7 lb pork butt, indirect 14.5 hrs @ 240 w/hickory -- turned out real well. [p]We're less than 2 miles from the drag strip and will have lots of company this coming weekend for the Southern Nationals. I thought I'd cook two butts ahead of time so I can do ribs on Saturday.[p]A few questions - [p]Will cooking ahead work out? Pull the meat and store?
Will two butts take twice as long? My Maverick ET-73 is ordered and should be here in time. I used a plain ole meat thermometer this time.
Any other hints?[p]Thanks,
Starling[p]

Comments

• Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    It won't take any longer to do two butts than one. You can pull the meat ahead of time and then slowly warm it up in the oven with a little apple juice and water added to put some moisture back in. It's not as good as right off the Egg but it's still really good. Catherine

• EgginHomerGA
    Options
    Q-Scoop,
    Thanks - that's what I was thinking - if I have to cook one ahead I thought the pulled pork would save better than the ribs. Do you agree?

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    EgginHomerGA,[p]Some also swear by reheating with Regular Coca-Cola (not diet, not Pepsi). Never tried it myself, although I will try it next time. The apple juice works fine in a roaster or crock pot, heating the juice an PP up slowly.[p]I have done 6 Boston Butts at one time in my large, but it is tricky. The hardest part is that they all get done at different times unless the uncooked weight is very similar. [p]I also prefer to inject the butts with a mixture of apple juice, worchestershire sauce, sugar and salt. E mail if U wan the recipe.[p]Woody54

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    EgginHomerGA,[p]Why not just add the ribs and finish them all together?
  • EgginHomerGA
    Options
    Edintx,
    I'd wondered about that -- but was afraid if I do the 3/1/1 (ish) thing I'd have to ramp up to 350 for the foil step on the ribs and was concerned for the butts at that temp.
    Thanks for your help!
    Starling

• HighCotton
    HighCotton Posts: 43
    Options
    EgginHomerGA,
    It's fun to pull the pork in front of guests. Just let the butts rest in aluminum foil in a cooler fo a couple of hours prior to pulling. [p]I read somewhere on this forum a technique where bbq sauce and chicken (or beef) broth is mixed in with PP to keep it from drying out.

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    EgginHomerGA,[p]Take the butts off 2-3 hours before serving. Wrap in foil with a touch of apple juice, then wrap in a couple of towels and let them sit in a cooler for a few hours while you finish the ribs. Check the Whiz's site for how long you can keep a butt warm in an ice chest. I think it's up to about 3 hours.[p]Get the ABT's on there as you are finishing the ribs.[p]Ed
  • Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    Ribs are definitely more delicate but I've done them ahead and reheated too. Catherine
  • EgginHomerGA
    Options
    Thanks all -- boston butts, then ribs and now I can't resist trying ABT's for the first time. Is it the weekend yet, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!