Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato Kebab

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of nights ago I was smoking a chicken (which turned out great!) and I wanted to try a different side dish. I had some baking potatoes, but I didn't feel like having a baked potato. So, I cut one into cubes, rubbed it with peanut oil, salt, pepper and onion powder and put the pieces on a metal skewer. I put it right on the grill, and cooked it at around 300 for about an hour, turning it every 15-20 minutes. It turned out excellent. I think the metal skewer helped the inside cook better that vegetables usually do on the Egg, and it was nice and smokey. Usually I'll do this kind of potato dish in the oven (not on skewers, but in a glass or pyrex dish). I think I'll do it kebab style in the future. Maybe I'll try marinating some potatoes and doing it this way next time.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Those come out great. Try some baby red or white potatoes the same way. They have a sweetness to them.
    R&J[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Oooh yeah! We have these sword style kabobs my bro-in-law brought back from turkey. We do kabobs often...usually veggies seperate from the meat. But love the flavor from all the surface area you get with kabobs. The taters sound like a great idea...as well as the baby white potato idea from Rhum&Jerk. I found that JJ's rub is killer on taters, as well as Prudhomes Veggie Magic.[p]See you saturday!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, since you're coating with peanut oil you can also sprinkle them with herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary,...) and have some great herbed potatoes that way. The oil allows the herbs to stick to the potato so the flavor gets cooked in. They're great!