Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Jerk Tenderloin Experience

GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I decided I’d go for a Jerk Tenderloin experience. It’s amazing how far a little Jerk marinade will go. I unthawed a package of pork tenderloins and separated the pair, rinsed them, then patted dry. One was just over a pound and the other was about 1.5 pounds. I used two different Jerk Marinades, Mrs. Dogs and one from Island Spice. Both are Texas Eggfest sponsors. The Island Spice directions called for 1 Tablespoon for each pound of meat, and Mrs. Dogs was 1 Tablespoon for 1.5 pounds of meat, so my tenderloins were destined for this cook.[p]I laid out some plastic wrap on the counter, then the tenderloin, and then the small amount of the wet Jerk spice and rubbed it in well. I then wrapped each one up in the plastic wrap and off the to fridge with them for 6 hours of marinating time.[p]I fired up the small and cooked them direct on a raised GrateMate system at 375 till they hit 145 internal.[p]I sliced off two samples and gave them to Mrs. GrillMeister and she said “WOW, Great Flavor!” She does not like stuff too spicy, hence the 6 hour marinating time versus 24 hours. Mrs. Dogs lays it out in pretty simple terms, the longer you marinate, the HOTTER it gets. While it was a blind Jerk test for Mrs. GrillMeister, she picked Mrs. Dogs as the one to give my son since he’s not keen on spicy stuff. The Island Spice tenderloin had a bit more kick.[p]I sliced the Jerk Pork and made sandwiches out of fresh Kaiser Rolls with Poppy seeds. My boy ate his pork with noodles and he said “It’s good” which is a lot coming from GameCube obsessed 11 year old.[p]All I can say, I can’t believe I haven’t tried cooking with Jerk seasoning before. Most of the ones I’ve tried were really spicy, but after researching Mrs. Dogs, it’s based on the marinating time. My short marinade time made this pork tenderloin a real treat. I do like spicy stuff, so next time I’ll start one earlier so I can kick one up a notch.[p]Both Mrs. Dogs & Island Spice Jerk Marinades get “It Rocks” from me. Now I have to try some wing today using Mrs. Dogs recipe on her web site. Check it out from the link below.[p]I’m going to have to do a Jerk Tenderloin at the Texas Eggfest. No way around it.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
Austin, TX

[ul][li]Mrs. Dogs Jerk Recipes - Good Stuff[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    GrillMeister,[p]First...there are just sooooo may jokes here...I'll just use my Wife's better judgement, and leave it alone![p]Thanks for the "blow by blow"...it helps the reader to be there with you more!!It sounds like you pulled out a winner!![p]I did a Jerked Thigh cook a while back with peppers,
    onions and rasians[p]I used these two products....together.[p]JerkedThighs24.jpg[p]It was goooood!![p]JerkedThighs1.jpg[p]I also marinaded the veggies before I saute'd in a cast iron skillet.[p]Me likes a little sweeeeet...with my heeeeeet!!![p]It appears...I'll be hanging round the GrillMeister "Jerk Shak"... come May 21'st!![p]
    Ireee...Ireeee[p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    137494331_9d74576359.jpg?v=0
    <p />GrillMeister,
    Be very careful when Chubby hangs with ya as he suggests. He my try to sneak in a few pecks, hence the name "chubby love". Heeeeee!
    ST

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    GrillMeister,
    Ed, I can't believe that as much as you cook that you haven't run across using jerk seasoning before. [p]Have a great TX Egg Fest - I'll miss you all this year, but I'll be back next year!!! [p]About a week ago I made it to Big D and hooked up with Senior Huevos for a night of laughs, vino, cigars and some eggin of course. We did salmon three ways - plain grilled, seasoned with DP Ragin River w/butter & maple syrup and with Ken Stones Gilded splinters. Grilled them direct added a little alder and every one came out great. Also grilled some zucinni slices with Easy Life - Yum!!![p]Me, I'm slammed with work and don't have tons of time to post, but do lurk from time to time. Cooking as much as I can when I have time - usually on the weekends. Did Smokin Joe Ribs last night, finished with the Holdens Smokey Chipotle sauce and they were finger lickin good. I know cause Mama told me so.[p]Cheere to you & other Texas Outlaw Eggers!!! I miss you all! Joe

• GrillMeister
    photo44.jpg
    <p />Smokin Joe,[p]I know, cause I've eaten Jerk chicken and jerk pork before, and I like it.[p]It's hard to imagine an Eggfest without Smokin Joe. Dude, you're gonna miss a good one. We'll save some pictures for you.[p]It's a gorgeous day out here at the Egg Ranch. Time for ice cold draft Dos XX while I marinate some chicken wings with Mrs. Dogs Jamaican Jerk Marinade. Hmm Good.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Chubby,[p]Cool. Maybe we could have a Jerk cookoff. The best Jerk wins! LOL

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas