Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Novice

Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for about six months now. I am still learning it's nuances. So far I love it. Working on my third bag of lump. I use it as a grill and a smoker. This summer I would fire it up to cook a couple of chicken breasts (just so I didn't have to heat up the kitchen with the oven.) I would not have done that with my old grill. I've done steaks, burgers and dogs, ribs, and smoked a ham. I have tried a couple of whole chickens, but I have not quite gotten the hang of them yet. My favorite cook, so far, has been thick cut pork chops. I rinse them off, sprinkle with a little salt and cracked black pepper. The Egg dome has been heated to about 275 with some soaked hickory or mesquite chips. Grill for about 15 to 20 minutes, turning once. Tender, juicy, and flavorful. I tried Elder Ward's pulled pork recipe a couple of months ago. It was absolutly wonderful. My thanks to him for posting it. I have just gotten back from the butcher shop with a couple of nice Boston butts. We are going to have a go at the pulled pork again this weekend. I will let y'all know how it went.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Chipper, based on your post, I really don't think that you are a BGE Novice - sounds like a lot of good cooking - pulled pork is SOoooo good! Tomorrow it's more beef jerky and on Sunday some Memphis-Style baby back ribs. Other projectes for tomorrow include making a new supply of both my regular and Memphis-Style BBQ sauce - have a really great weekend!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Chipper, Good job. I've had mine since late June. Iv'e cooked just about everything but fish and piza. Guess what, this week we try both. I glad you brought up the lump. I go threw 1 bag a week. I cook a lot. If you haven't tried beef jerky I highly suggest you should. Gfw and Tim M have grat recipes and sites to enjoy.[p]CWM
  • Chipper
    Chipper Posts: 35
    Gfw,
    I'm not really a beginner, but I still have a lot to learn. I did the pulled pork this past weekend. It took a bit longer than expected. I put the boston butts (2) on at 9:00pm Friday. After about 14 hrs., the internal temp seemed to plateau around 155 deg. The dome temp was around 200-210 deg. After several hours, I opened the bottom vent and cranked the dome temp to around 350. They finally hit 200 deg. around 8:30 pm on Saturday. I was using a plate setter for the first time (tried to find fire bricks, with no success.) I was also doing two butts at the same time. I guess I made to many changes at once. We had pulled pork for lunch on Sunday. My wife said it was good and my 8 yr old son had two helpings, but I think that she just want me to do the cooking and he will eat anything that won't eat him first. Come to think of it, it wasn't that bad. I guess I'll keep trying until I get it right. 8-) I hope your jerky and ribs turned out good.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Chipper,[p]The plateau is normal, and desirable - the temp stalls out because the fat and collagen are changing state from solid to liquid. That's what makes a tough butt tender. Let the temp hover there as long as it wants; it will start to rise on its own eventually.[p]Next time try a higher dome temp (around 250) unless you can accommodate a 24 hr. cook. Pulled pork is forgiving - there are a number of ways to cook it that will yield good results. Have fun experimenting![p]Cathy