Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to reach a certain temp?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let's say I want to reach 250 degrees. I know how to set the vents for that temp -- but the question is this -- once I light up, is it better to leave the vents open wide and then shut them when it reaches 250, or set the vents for the desired temp and let it come slowly up to that temp?[p]Both methods works, but I'd like to know which way you prefer, and why. Thanks!!

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Since I use starter cubes I never had a problem with leaving all the vents wide open until reaching desired temp. Just dont forget about if you're doing low and slow:)I always keep a close eye.
    Also I let her stay stable for at least 45 minutes before the meat goes on to assure the ceramics are at temp so I wont loose heat when I open the lid.
    ST

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]If overshooting the temp isn't critical...then do as you suggested.[p]I think it's easier to sneak up on a temp...than slam on the brakes once ...you get there!![p]More so if the temp you're looking for is say 375 and up.[p]OMO[p]Evans[p][p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Being the impatient type, I let it rip but watch it closely until it starts to approach the temp I wish to cook at.[p]About 50 to 25 degrees before the desired temp, I start closing it down. Depends on the the final temp and the speed with which temp is increasing.[p]Toy Man
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    As they say I guess it's diffent strokes for different folks. I light it up via a chimney. If I want a 275 heat, I let it go to at least 350 to 400, then I set my vents. I also try to incorporate any platesetters, drip pans ect. befor putting on the meat. Very important that the ceramic gets hot. Again if I want 275 I want everything stabilized at 300 before putting on the meat. It will go down to 275 and stick there.
    billyg
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]For temps less than 300 degrees, I try to stabilze the Egg below the desired temperature. I'll light my starter cube, close the dome immeidately, and set the vents for a lower temperature. Once the cooker stabilizes, I'll open up to reach the right temperature.[p]Overshooting a low temp happens so quickly. I've always been more successful achieving and maintaining a low temp when I've been careful on the way up.[p]To cook at a higher temperature, I'll leave the vents wide open for a few minutes and close down once the fire is well established and the Egg is approaching the right tempeature.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    i might be going against conventional wisdom here, but after trying to gun for 350 a few times (wide open) and forgetting the egg, only to go back out and find it at 700, i got in the habit of lighting it, fiddling with lump and then just setting the daisy for 350.[p]i found that there was no difference in time to get to 350 with the vents set wide open, or whether dialed in 'prematurely' for 350.[p]then it occurred to me.
    the fire can't draw more air, or vent it, any faster as it gets to 350 (say) than it would if it were AT 350. at 250 (on the way to 350) it is drawing as much air as it wants. the fire is not hindered by air flow, and could grow as fast as it 'wanted', because there's more air available. ...it's just not calling for it yet.[p]meaning, until it gets to 350, it is drawing/needing less air than greater amount which the vents are providing. and so the vents aren't slowing it down.[p]once the fire hits 350, it pegs there, because now the limitations of the vents have kicked in.[p]all i do now is light the egg, stack some lump over the lit starter chunks, shut the lid, dial in the vents and go inside to prep the food.[p]if i get sidetracked, and paint a ceiling for example, the egg doesn't overshoot and toast my gasket.[p]and the best part is the vents aren't holding the fire back any from getting to temp. it hits 350 just as soon as it did with the vents wide open. but now it stops there.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    stike,[p]I think you are right -- I like the idea that the fire "wants" a certain quantity of air and is not limited by setting the vent to 350 until the temp actually reaches 350.[p]It may be faster to just open it wide and let the fire build with unlimited air, but that creates the risk of overshooting.[p]I should probably try it both ways and time it. [p]Thanks to all for your suggestions![p]Dan

• Smokin' Todd,
    AHA I am a new EGGMANIAC and I realized my problem with tonight's pork roast. I lit it wide open, then went away. When I came back 10 min later it was like 1000 degrees. I was unable to get it as cool as I needed. NOw I see I light it and let it climb slowly, watching it. DUH. Not clear from the instructions that you are to avoid overshooting. Jessica/Bethesda MD