Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Cast Iron

Options
I'm looking to pick up a Lodge Cast Iron place to get them seems to be amazon.

I'm looking to pickup either the 10" or 12" Cast Iron Skillet for my LBGE. I think the 12" should fit based on the forum posts I've been reading.

I am trying to figure out what are the differences between these two the model numbers appear to be the same but the prices are different....

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356631265&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+iron+skillet

and

http://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Charcoal/dp/B00006JSUB

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    One's on the Canadian site and the other is the US site.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • HofstraJet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh, and check Walmart - much cheaper.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    One's on the Canadian site and the other is the US site.
    Just realized that after I posted...ooops.
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Walmart is your best bet.
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Looks like Walmart has no stock in store so I found a 10" locally for $37CAN.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    How deep in Canukistan are ya??  Maybe a road-trip south into the U.S. will be cheaper????!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I got a 12 inch at TJMaxx for $15.  Home Goods has them also.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Looks like with the LBGE I might be going with the 10" instead of the 12".

Very helpful post thanks!
  • HofstraJet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the 12 inch L10SK3 and it fits the large perfectly. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Why? The inside diameter of the large is about 19 1/4".

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Academy also carries the Lodge12" for $19.99 if you have one in your area.
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lodge-12-preseasoned-cast-iron-skillet?repChildCatid=27844

• dirty_denim86
    Options
    Why? The inside diameter of the large is about 19 1/4".
    looks like I do have the option I still might go with the 10".

thanks for the input!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Try an antique shop or yard sale. Here's my #10 Wagner (11 3/4" OD and 16 1/2" with handle). Don't recall exactly, but pretty sure it was under $20. And already seasoned (the old fashioned way).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I agree.  My first Griswold #8 was $5.  Latest find was a sweet EKCO spatula identical to this for $1. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ekco-Vanadium-Stainless-Steel-Black-Handle-Spatula-Turner-Made-in-USA-/161764750028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a9ee32cc

Lots of hidden gems out there, if you take the time to look around.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Where are ya'll finding these cheap Griswold pieces??? I scan through antique shops whenever I find myself in one. They're always like $45 and up for decent ones.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Where are ya'll finding these cheap Griswold pieces??? I scan through antique shops whenever I find myself in one. They're always like $45 and up for decent ones.
    Antique stores know what they have, so not a great place for CI deals.  I've had luck at estate sales / yard sales in the past, but since CI is becoming popular again, deals are a little harder to find, and the CI is snapped up early in the sale.  Lots of times I've been told that I "just missed the cast iron".

My daughter loves treasure hunting at the estate sales, so we go out weekly, and I've only found 4 pieces of vintage CI in the last year.

Yesterday I found a pair of vintage JA Henckels poultry shears unused for $5.  A couple weeks back I got another KA mixer for $20.  Also got a single burner induction burner for $5.  
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Truthfully, I haven't looked in a while, but I have always found the antique stores around here to be very affordable (for CI anyway). I have about 15 pieces, all purchased in CT antique shops, and the only ones that were over $20-25 were Dutch ovens at about $40. 

Oh yeah, I also bought an 11 piece Le Creuset set (CL ad) for $50! Seriously. Didn't even haggle with the guy. That was his asking price!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Truthfully, I haven't looked in a while, but I have always found the antique stores around here to be very affordable (for CI anyway). I have about 15 pieces, all purchased in CT antique shops, and the only ones that were over $20-25 were Dutch ovens at about $40. 

Oh yeah, I also bought an 11 piece Le Creuset set (CL ad) for $50! Seriously. Didn't even haggle with the guy. That was his asking price!
    What bizzarro world is this?!?!?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Focker
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh I've seen plenty of overpriced CI.  Most aniquers, but not all, know what they have.  I frequent the booth shops where each stall is rented.  Not the artsy, fartsy novelty ones that showcase rare pieces like RiverBend Antiques here in Davenport.  The majority of the spaces are estate auction buyers, pickers, garage salers; whom the majority do as a retirement hobby, stocking their booth for the weekends.

Most of them could care less what logo is barely visible on the bottom.
    This is where a cruddy EPU gets a $6 pricetag (dickered to $5)   

Keep huntin' my friend, you will find one.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Q, Those Le Creuset folks have gone crazy. I was by a factory outlet store over in north Georgia a few weeks back....and low and behold they had that stuff in Pink. Now tell me who in there right mind would by pink pots (don't answer that question here....it's rhetorical). You couldn't get me to purchase that entire pink line for $50. 

Ok, glad to get that off my chest. Now ya'll have a nice day.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Another spot to comb is craigslist.  Again, you have to sift, but both an old #12 Lodge DO and Griswold WI were $50 total.

And stumbled upon some cheap LeCreuset stuff off CL too.  The 2 qt saucepan had the original box, wasn't even used.  Sold the white lid yesterday that came with the smaller two saucepans.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options

Q, Those Le Creuset folks have gone crazy. I was by a factory outlet store over in north Georgia a few weeks back....and low and behold they had that stuff in Pink. Now tell me who in there right mind would by pink pots (don't answer that question here....it's rhetorical). You couldn't get me to purchase that entire pink line for $50. 

Ok, glad to get that off my chest. Now ya'll have a nice day.
    LOL, they are French! :rofl: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HofstraJet
    Options
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hi @Jeepster47   Hope you're off having some fun - haven't seen you around lately.  

Looks like a good deal to me.  However I have a 6" Griswold and have never used it.  Just kind of an odd size, so I always reach for something else, fyi.

Personally, given the chance, I'd still buy it though and add to the collection.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Options
    Yes sir, looks like it's in good shape.
    I'd pull the trigger if it were closer. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    You didn't ask me, LOL, but I'd sure buy it. Well, actually, I probably wouldn't buy it... since I have two just like it already! One Griswold, one Wagner. =)  Last use was for a sunny side up egg in the oven. Never did that before, but the directions said you MUST use a non-stick pan. Worked great!

Sometimes I put an oiled baked potato in one and throw it in the egg. Have also used it for Brussels sprouts or other veggies. Comes in handy often.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I had an Aunt that had a kitchen very much like this. :bawling: 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Actually it is quite interesting ........if you visit enough sites/shops you will find what what you want........I have significantly upgraded my griswold want list by just being pati nt.......don't plan on cutting off any handles either.....too many options for us to entertain those ideas......most good cast iron is so pure in its nature that you wouldn't consider altering how it was used......thus cutting off handles to make it work just don't work if u know what I mean.......there ain't no way I'm removing any handles to make any griswold pans more egg worthy......lodge pans can fill that need......I love egging, but I also love using the CI pans inherited from past generations more than newer iterations of something that was better before if you know what I mean!........

Berlin, Maryland