Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest "Hack".

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
If you find yourself in the situation that I did,  (where you are going from an existing eggnest to something in a table or something permanent like a kitchen) this is always an option as opposed to buying a new "Table Nest".

Used my angle grinder and cut off the legs of the old nest.  I was also able to gain about an extra inch of clearance underneath...compared the Nests being sold today.... are there you could cut them at whatever height you wanted or needed.
Just another option.
I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a great tip Chubby.  It also looks more stable than the table nest.  Where did you get the rubber "booties"? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Looks great thanks for the idea. I am in the process if putting mine in a counter. I like the open front as well.
  • Chubby
    Options
    That is a great tip Chubby.  It also looks more stable than the table nest.  Where did you get the rubber "booties"? 
    They sell them on the new/current nests. Apparently...many people don't put them on because it makes the eggs too tight.
    I happened to get some free from a Dealer...but I'm sure BGE would also sell you four of them for little to nothing.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice mod for repurposing. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Very cool (pun intended) because that extra air space would definitely be great if it were mounted on a wooden shelf.  Could really cut down on the chance of fire to the shelf underneath.  Thanks for posting.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I did something similar to gain height on a table nest mod. I was able to get credit with my guy on my old nest and mates. The air gap was a non issue with a SS table but, the extra air gap makes the bottom of the base cool down quicker and there is absolutely 0 heat transfer at the bottom. For guys with wooden tables that are combustible take heed. Egging is all fun and games until disaster strikes. Be proactive and smart. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... The air gap was a non issue with a SS table but, the extra air gap makes the bottom of the base cool down quicker and there is absolutely 0 heat transfer at the bottom. ...
    Challenger Carts are designed for the egg to set flat on the aluminum shelf.  At a local eggfest, the owner had a large egg in one with the egg peculating along at 350 degrees.  I opened the bottom cabinet, stuck my hand in, and touched the support brace ... it was very hot ... hot enough to make me instinctively pull back.  So, anything stored in under the egg is exposed to high heat.

My egg is installed in the Cart with a nest ... aluminum Cart or not.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I knew there was something about the table nests in your pics but couldn't put my finger on it. I think yours look more "elegant" vs. the BGE table nests :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubby
    Options
    caliking said:
    I knew there was something about the table nests in your pics but couldn't put my finger on it. I think yours look more "elegant" vs. the BGE table nests :)

Well thanks!!
    I have been called many things in my day... seldom (if ever) elegant lmao!!
    The rest of the day I'm just going to walk around knowing... I'm the man!
     B) 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Yes Chubby, you are the man. Will we see you at the Coop Fest?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Chubby
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Yes Chubby, you are the man. Will we see you at the Coop Fest?

Yes...with Bells on! I hear your coming too...yes?

You think he could have picked a hotter weekend...lol!!

In lieu of my usual "appearance fee" Leroy has guaranteed me a couple Polynesian girls with palm leaves ...to keep me cool!
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options

For the hack does anyone know if the "inside" legs of my nest can be removed for a table nest? Will the outside legs be enough to support a large bge if they were to be cut? Thanks in advance.  
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @hvhunter said:

For the hack does anyone know if the "inside" legs of my nest can be removed for a table nest? Will the outside legs be enough to support a large bge if they were to be cut? Thanks in advance.  
    Seems to have worked for Chubby!
    And welcome to the herd!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX