Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price for Prime Brisket

Options
Is $6/lb for prime in South Florida a good price?
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    That is about the going rate that I found here in central Florida from the butcher shop and was happy to find a whole packer. :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I wish I could pay $6 for prime.  I pay 8-9 for choice in Spartanburg.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks like Charlotte, NC, is about 75 miles away - there is a Restaurant Depot there and the prices will be around $3.60/lb for Choice or Angus.  Might be worth a trip to stock your freezer.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've been seeing (and buying) prime brisket at Costco for $3.39 for the last 5 months.   This is at the store in NOLA.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is it worth the price difference for prime if I can find choice for half price?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not in my opinion.
    edited July 2015
    Options

Agree with @nolaegghead but I would look around.  I generally see $0.40-$.60/lb price difference.  With that price point it is worth the extra to me to get the prime.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Your money, your taste buds. I like prime brisket, but a choice brisket for a good price is hard to pass up.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Have you checked Walmart? I was in Virginia last month and saw this. The cryovac wrapper said Choice though it's not on the label. I have no idea why I took the pic, I didn't buy the meat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

Agree the "no" answer above - with 2 caveats.

1) The occasional special occasion - like when it is for a work party where you really want to impress some folks - and work is paying for the meat.
    2) The choice briskets that are available just don't feel as tender as you would like.  I made this call one time when there were only 3 choice briskets left and they weren't as "floppy" as I like brisket to be - so I couldn't imagine them turning out as good as I would like.  I ponied up the extra $$ ($3.29 vs $5.77/pound that day as I recall) for prime and was glad I did. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Looks like Charlotte, NC, is about 75 miles away - there is a Restaurant Depot there and the prices will be around $3.60/lb for Choice or Angus.  Might be worth a trip to stock your freezer.
    I looked up the RD in Charlotte the other day. It is off I-77 (convenient for me) on Tryon west of Charlotte. @Grillin_beers it is on the right side of town for you without going into the city. You would be able to exit I-85 (I think near the airport) and come in easily from your side. I have a lot of family up that way and plan to hit it myself real soon. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here in GA $6 a lb for prime would be a great deal.  Someone just mentioned a place had them on sale for that price.  We just don't see prime brisket that often.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.