Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: MEATBALL RECIPE??

Options
Smok'inCSI
Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi: I really need a great recipe for meatballs as in spaghatti and "meatballs"!
Anybody who has a great recipe, could you please share it?
Thanks a million:
Mike

Comments

• Smokin'CSI,
    Here is one I have used for many years, if you use the sauce it is great as appetizers and without and made a little larger we enjoy in spaghetti sauce. You can cook them in the oven or the sauce. Hope this helps.[p] Appetizer, Ham Balls, Spiced, Richard
    [p]6 1/2 Lbs. Smoked Ham, Coarse Ground
    3 Lbs. Sausage, Bulk
    4 8 Oz. cans Waterchestnuts, Chopped
    5 Small Onions, Diced
    3 Tbs. Liquid Smoke
    3 Tbs. Durkee Hot Sauce
    3 Tbs. Pepper, White
    3 Tbs. Mustard, Dry
    8 Whole Eggs
    1 Cup Milk
    2 Tbs. Salt
    8 Cups Bread Crumbs
    *********SAUCE**********
    2 1/2 Cups Sugar, Brown
    3 Tbs. Dry Mustard
    1 Cup Water
    1 Cup Vinegar
    1 Cup Rum, Meyer

1 Mix all, make into 1/2 dollar size meat balls. Place on baking dish with raised rack and coat with sauce. Bake 350°F for 1 hour.
    2 Drain and discard liquid. Make a second batch of sauce and place in crock pot with meat balls. Makes about 200 balls.

Yield: 200 meatballs

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Crock Pot, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe[p]Source: Original, Richard, '92

• Smokin'CSI,
    Forgot to mention, you can substitute beef for the ham and pork and when cooked they freeze very well without the sauce.

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Smokin'CSI,
    This is a friends recipe.....she is from East Boston and has more vowels in her last name than a coon dog has fleas!!! I have also inlcuded her "gravy recipe".....she would not look on this forum in a million years, so I'm safe from the EVIL EYE! I think I promised to never give it out, but can't remember. This recipe is the best!! It has that "orange" color to it that makes it mouth watering!! PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU MADE OUT!!! Paul[p]Meatballs
    2-3 pounds 75% fat on the hamburg do not buy the best you need the fat for flavor.
    again Italian seasoning I cover the meat i do not measure but i woud guess 4 tablespoons
    2 eggs
    about 1-1/12 cups of Italian bread crumbs ( do not use plain).
    4-6 gloves of garlic
    onion powder
    salt and black.
    2 handfulls of Romano you can mix with parm. if you like
    mix really well and roll into balls fry in a skillet until all sides are brown drop into sauce that has been already cooking for aroung 10 minutes (you just do not want to drop into cold tomatoes))

IF FORGOT TO TELL YOU TO ADD SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO THE GRAVY,,,,,YOU CAN ALSO ADD HOT RED PEPPER IF YOU LIKE....

These are basic...Sometime to your sause you can add red and green peppers and than add chicken or veal after it has cook for some time .[p]THE 'GRAVY"[p]Hi hope all is well!!!!!!!

In a large pot you brown your meats....whatever you like i am basing this on using 3 cans of tomatoes......I would use 6 Italian sausages, 3 pieces of pork and some beef...brown all together.....Not the meatballs

3 to 4 cans of Italian crushed tomatoes ( use Tuttorosso green label) ( I hate pastene)....In one can fill with water and go from can to can with same water to make sure cans are clean of tomatoes....

I know you are a trained a Chef but it works for a sauce you will cook for a long time If you use fresh Italian seasoning it disingrates and you lose the flaver over the 3- 4 hours you it will cook so just believe me on this..

Take Dry Italian seasoning ( That is the name on the label) is already mixed... If you cannot find it than buy dry Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Parsley.....I do not measure i just cover the top of the sauce with it and use alot do not be afraid to be generous...remember this is going to cook for a long time.....
    2 fresh basil leaves
    Then finely chop 4-6 clove of garlic
    about 3 tablespoons of onion powder (you can use fresh It wll leave chuncks when finished)
    two handfulls of Italian Romano.....you can mix it will parmesian if you like.
    about a half cup dry red wine. Oh yes make sure when you brown meat you use Olive Oil.

you need to let it come to a simmer so medium heat is ok...When it simmers you turn the heat on low and stir once every 1/2 hour if it appears to thick just add a little water....around 3 hours of cooking you will notice the color turn to a orange or not so red. that will tell you that it is almost ready....Keep stirring using a wooden spoon.. I think i remember it all...Oh you need to drink alot of red wine when doing this.....I will send you meatball recipe on another email..

Good luck [p]

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,[p]I just went over the recipe that I sent....SORRY for all the typo's and broken sentences...I should have proof read it! She is "off the boat" and I guess I'm just used to her writing. Paul
  • Smok'inCSI
    Options
    midnight smoker,: I have jsut 3 words....Oh My God..The recipe is AWESOME, can't begin to thank you enough!
    Mike

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Smokin'CSI,[p]I just hope my riend never finds it on the forum!!!! I realy don't want to have a RED HEADED SICILIAN after me...she's 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Sicilian....very scary combo for a woman!!! lol
    PAUL

• Smokin'CSI,[p]Here's my favorite meatball recipe:[p]Buy frozen meatballs at local buying club (Sam's, Costco, etc.).[p]Grill over direct heat at 375F for 6-8 minutes.[p]
    Enjoy :-)[p][p]