Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breasts

Options
Iwantogrill
Iwantogrill Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook some boneless, skinless chicken breasts for dinner and need assistance. What temps, direct or indirect? I was going to use some Dizzy Pig rub( not sure which one yet).[p]Thanks for any help.[p]Randy

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    10d60616.jpg
    <p />Iwantogrill,[p]I cook skinless bone-in more that boneless fillets but here is how I do them: Direct, raised grate with a grate temperature of 275°. Rubbed with whatever. I baste with a liquid heavier in corn oil or butter to make up for the lost fat w/o the skin. I pull them at 150°-155° (if the juices are clear) and rest wrapped in foil.[p]I know the 155° may seem low, (and not USDA recommended) but for maxium tenderness and moistness that is where I take white meat, turkey and chicken both[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Iwantogrill,[p]Boneless chicken breasts will dry out on you really quickly if you're not careful. We usually marinate in italian dressing for several hours, then remove and sprinkle liberally with a rub of choice. I LOVE Tsunami Spin on chicken, but any of the Dizzy Pig rubs are awesome.[p]Get your egg stabalized at around 450° and toss them on. Cook for 5 minutes per side and pull off and check the internal temperature. We cook breasts to 165° internal, but remember, the temp will continue to rise while the meat rests after you take it off the cooker, so you might pull a little earlier to account for that. If they aren't quite there after 5 minutes a side, then throw them back on for a minute or two on each side to finish them up.[p]Each cooker has it's own personality, so yours might behave a little differently than mine do, but you'll get to know it as you do more cooks.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Iwantogrill
    Options
    When you say "raised grate", what is the setup?

Randy
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e3ee08c8.jpg
    <p />Iwantogrill,[p]Here is one more idea if you have some time. A few fatties cooked over chicken will give you an auto-baste action and deliver good flavor too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Iwantogrill,[p]I just egged some boneless, skinless chicken breasts for lunch today (sorry, no pics). I pounded them out flat, rubbed with olive oil, spread some fresh spinach leaves and goat cheese on them, and then rolled them up and tied off with butchers twine. Finally, I sprinkled my favorite chicken spice on top (some kind of McCormicks salt-free blend).[p]I cooked the breasts indirect at around 375 degrees for 30 minutes. No added wood chips (skinless poultry soaks up a lot of smoke). Then I let them rest under foil for about 10 minutes before serving. They turned out great![p]In general, I like to cook boneless chicken at a higher temperature so it doesn't dry out. If you don't want to stuff boneless chicken breasts, go for 425 - 450 direct. You can marinate them in whatever you like and turn after about 10-12 minutes. Marinate them in something with fat: olive oil, italian dressing, butter.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    thirdeye,
    You're my hero![p]LR

• Iwantogrill,
    I cook them a couple of times per week. They are quick and simple for weeknights. I clean them, dry them, and put whatever dry rub on them I feel like. Lemon pepper is always a good choice. A dizzy pig rub is always good, or some home-made rub from one of my many bbq books. After I rub them, I rub some EVOO on them. [p]375 dome temp - direct - for right about 30 minutes, turning once, is always perfect for me. [p]I also like to marinade in some italian dressing or Alabama white sauce (like Big Bob Gibson's - but home made) then grill. :)[p]Cheers, Adrian

• Iwantogrill
    Options
    The chicken breasts came out great. I marinated them in a spicy Italian marinade then sprinkled Dizzy Pig's Tsunami rub on them. Sorry no pics.[p]Thanks for all the suggestions.[p]Randy