Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving, losing my BBQ shed, any suggestions on storage?

Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Me and the wife have decided to move to a larger house to accommodate having two boys who seem to need more space by the day. I'm excited about the new house but I'm losing my BGE setup. I have a full shed all to myself for my eggcessories along with a challenger grill cart. The shed has power so I also have a whole fridge full of beer and liquor that I'm giving up. 

At the new house I'll have the XL egg in my challenger grill cart on a deck. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on a storage system for my eggcessories that I can have on the deck. Looking for a standing cabinet that weather proof, had lots of shelves and is deep enough so I can lay my grates and rigs on them. Any suggestions?

thanks,

MP

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Damn. I'd build another shed. That sounds pretty awesome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Bedroom closet. That will hurry any thoughts from SWMBO along nicely until something can be built. It would be good to see pics of new deck layout in order to offer construction advice. Persononally I would get a simpe deckbox and start drawing up plans.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Jstroke
    Depending on the house I might go tiki-hut
  • Mud Pig
    I was thinking of something a little less permanent. I deck box is a thought but all my eggcessories would just lay on top of each other. I'd like shelves if possible. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    How about the garage? Can yo claim at least  half of it til a new cook shed can be constructed?
  • Jstroke
    Is this super temporary. How waterproof. Used dresser on craigslist. or one of those small rubbermaid garden shed type deals. You could mount shelves in it And store lump. 
  • Mud Pig
    Jstroke said:
    Is this super temporary. How waterproof. Used dresser on craigslist. or one of those small rubbermaid garden shed type deals. You could mount shelves in it And store lump. 
    Temporary wasn't the right choice of adjectives. Something that is movable and not permanently attached to the deck is a little more accurate. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Rubbermaid makes a 2'1" interior deep deck cabinet that may work. Certainly not designer quality but it would be functional. The big box home stores carry them. I seem to recall about $225. You could put shelves in the upper part for eggcessories and leave about 3' open on the bottom for lump/wood storage.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    I'm in process building an 'Egg Crate' for ALL the junk / stuff that goes WITH the BGE.   
    Aprox dimensions are 44" wide x 27" tall x 30" deep.     Room for everything and will have built-in place for all the ceramics.   Plate setter and 2 pizza stones.    

I have NOT done a rendering in Sketchup yet, but have started construction anyway.   The back frame is made of 2x4s while the rest of the frame is 1x4.  The extra strength at the back is to support the LID which is mounted using a pair of 'offset' hinges.  

I'm using pocket screws and GLUE.   Under it will be some casters.   It is too tall to use as a seat, which I'd thought about until I realized the size of the ceramics.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    If they can work the microwave, I think you can send (boys) them on alone. That way you keep the shed....You know I am just kidding of course but my having young adult children (and :o having survived their teenage years)...I have a warped view on this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've had this deck box for a few years:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-60012-Extra-Large-Deck/dp/B0030GG2GC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437405095&sr=8-2&keywords=deck+box

Really pleased with it. Lots of storage and strong enough for a few adults to sit on.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I just bought this one to store eggcessories and also have this for more weather sensitive stuff (pit controller, Looftlighter, extension cords, etc.) Looking forward to other solutions as I have similar issues.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2015
    Grills (gas or charcoal) shouldn't be placed on decks. You're building a fire on a flammable structure attached to a flammable house. Ask Little Steven or Spaightlabs how it worked out for them.

Build Leroy's "coop" out in the yard away from the house.

Congrats on the new place! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mud Pig
    You think that it's dangerous even sitting in a large grill cart?  I don't see how it would catch anything on fire.