Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened catfish filets....

Options
Brobear
Brobear Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, for the last four years of egging, I have never put a cast iron skillet on the egg. I had been having great results concerning catfish filets with a fishbasket. Tonight, after reading a couple of posts earlier in the week, I put the iron skillet on. I heated the egg and skillet up to around 650. I prepared the filets with a little initial tobasco sausce, brushed with melted butter, then coated with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. I tell you what, those were the best filets ever. I don't have an exact cook time, but it was around 3-4 minutes or so per side, then flip again for a couple of more minutes. If you have never tried it, it is worth it.[p]Happy egging

Comments

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Brobear,
    And the next time you fry in the Egg, use lard for the fish. You will see a big difference in taste. [p]Chef Jerry

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    Brobear,
    I haven't tried a skillet on the egg yet, but in the past when I want blackened catfish, I fired up my fish gas fish cooker and put a cast iron skillet on it. NO grease, and get it very hot. Put a little butter on the filets then apply Paul Prudhomme's blackened fish seasoning. Cook two minutes on each side, and that's it.........

• Bluegillman
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    I wonder with nothing in the cast iron while it is getting hot and you toss the filets on, doesn't it hurt the cast iron from shock?