Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squidly Diddly

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
The squid story goes back to late summer 1999. I posted for some advice on cooking squid, but instead got some friendly humor instead! And lots and lots of friendly abuse since then. I pursued....and started off with a recipe from "Thrill of the Grill". I was amazed at how this very healthy creature could be made so tender and tasty by cooking at super high temps for a short t ime. I always thought it was supposed to be chewy!![p]Been revamping the recipe, and over the past year or so, I have been cooking them on occasion....and even cooked them at the Eggfest 2000, and was suprised how many people tried it! 15 minutes it was gone. Tonight I tried for the first time on the small egg (and used dill instead of cilantro). With the small egg grate being so close to the coals, these were the best squidlies yet! [p]Yeah, I know many of you won't try it...and don't like squid....but for anyone who even remotely likes squid, put the magic of the egg to work for you, and do some high temp squid! Here is the link to the recipe I posted after the Fest in April....just in case someone would actually try it![p]Yeeee ha!
NB

[ul][li]Let's cook squid!![/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You really should wait until the Spring of the year to make this post....the fish are biting better then!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bob,
    Hey!! Wassup Bob! Hope all is well down your way....business, the family and you. Your ribbing brings back great memories. [p]I tenderized these guys by repeatedly poking a fish hook into them. Getting practice for fishing season..hee![p]Later
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Chris,[p]All is well down my way except I'm working to hard these days and not cooking on my BGE enough. I'd almost be willing to give into squid for a little time off right now. [p]Wanted to try to plan a short trip to Guntersville by invite but, I had to delay that idea because of some big happenings at the office. Hopefully things will settle down in another month and I can get back on the cooker with some serious food ideas and hopefully some much needed rest.[p]Thanks for the squid humor opportunity

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'LL TRY IT! I saw some lovely cleaned squid at the market. And, joy of joys, NO travelling and no entertaining plans for the weekend. The supermarket is giving away free (yeah) turkeys to its Big Spenders, of which I certainly qualify as royalty by this time. Come to think of it, for what I spend, they should give me a parking spot with my license number on it and a red carpet up to the door. So I'll Egg a turkey and try the squid, too, if it's looking good.[p]Uh oh. Can't do a turkey without entertaining...damn! I'm into it again. Shove over, Martha Stewart.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    My piece was chewy. :-)

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Gretl,
    I'll be up for the tailgating.
    Not that there's much hope for this season.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Support your local bait shop, eat squid! :-)

• Nature Boy
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I'm devistated! Chewy compared to pulled pork?? Or chewy compared to other squid you have tried??
    Allright. It doesn't melt in your mouth....but!!
    The tenticles feel really wild in your mouth.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gretl,
    Go for it! You make a killer Asian slaw.
    Tried my hand injecting a 5 pound chicken today. With butter, honey, soy sauce, and a tad of rice vinegar. Added some dry seasonings (Grains of Paradise, pepper, basil, garlic powder)....but it was clogging the injector. Dumped it in my mini food processor to chop up the little chunks, but the injector still clogged. I ran it thru a screen and it finally worked! I'll see what happens.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Oh OK. Chewy compared to PP!
    It was an eggsperience not soon to be forgotten.

• Gretl
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Boy, you said it! Things are decidedly UNhappy in Happy Valley these days. Joepa sez he'll make changes before next Saturday. We all hope so!
    Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You have the patience of a saint. I probably would've injected that bird with a 12-gauge after all that! I guess your learning experience is to not put the dry stuff in the injector, no?
    Hope it turned out GREAT! Let us know.
    Cheers,
    G.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Chris,[p]I've never made squid myself. Have tried it in restaurants a few times and only once was it as tender as you've described (and also wonderful). Thanks for the inspiration. Will give it a shot this weekend. Having read the beautifully articulated and technical preparation directions in your recipe, this has the potential for being one of life's significant emotional events for me. You know, kinda like your first girl or beer. hehehe What are the keys to look for when trying to select a quality whole squid?[p]K~G
    might be squeamish

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey KennyG,
    Hope its not too late. When choosing squid, I look for those with bodies in the 5-8 inch long range. The giant ones have a thicker meat, and are a bit less tender. The small ones are harder to cook (more to flip...more chance of sliding thru grate). At the super hot temps...as you know...you have to work very quickly when flipping. I use 2 grates, rotated 90 degrees to each other to prevent them from falling thru during the speedy flips.[p]All squid smells a bit fishy before cooking, but should still smell fresh.[p]Curious how this works for you! Haven't heard from very many brave souls who have tried cooking it....not sure why! It really is worth doing.
    Go Skins
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com