Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE owner - just introducing myself

I am a new owner of a XL and Medium BGE and am in the process of building my tables for an outdoor kitchen.  I have been researching the egg for many weeks now and finally pulled the trigger.  I have a couple of friends that own them and they finally convinced me to join the Egghead society.

I am retired and living in Florida.  I finally got feed up with gas grills and separate smokers and so on. Seems like everything that was cooked on the gas grills always tasted the same.  I was beginning to get bored with eating.

I have plenty of time to cook and am looking forward to trying new and different things.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.  I will be visiting here often to learn as much as I can.

Thanks to all of you that post, the information is valuable to a newbie like me.
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Congrats on your new Eggs!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Congrats! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Welcome to the crazy train and way to go jumping in with both eggs. I promise you made a wise choice. Cant wait to see your set up
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Congratulations on the new eggs and welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your cooks. If you have any questions just fire away, someone is always more than willing to help out. Enjoy those new eggs.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Why tip toe in when you can make a big splash right?!!! Nicely done
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
     a XL and a medium is a good combo. Welcome to the  group. Be sure to bring the  pics. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thanks to all for the welcome.  Been a long time since I was this excited about cooking on the back deck. I can't wait to get with it.  The danged spar varnish on the cypress tables just won't set up fast enough.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    edited July 2015
    Congrats and welcome @Sonny3, from down the road on Merritt Island.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Welcome. You'll love that combo. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Congrats, and welcome @Sonny3 you just joined a lifestyle that will truly change the way you eat.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Congratulations on the new eggs and welcome to the group! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Welcome and don't forget to post pics!  

Da da rulz is da rulz. 
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Welcome post some pics of your outdoor kitchen when it is done 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Way to jump in with two eggs. Welcome
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    welcome, you're off to a great start.  post pics
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Congrats on your new eggs..  Sit back now and enjoy ....  Learn.... Share
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Welcome!
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Sonny3
    This is my egg table (before I cut the hole for the Med) and the island top before I built the base. All of the wood is Cypress.  I must admit I did not build it.  There is a gentleman in GA that builds about 2-3K tables a year for some of the biggest ceramic cooker companies.  He is about 20 miles from my sister's house so I drove to GA to pick them up. I could not buy the materials for the cost of the tables (it would have been pine not cypress) and then I would have had to build them.  Both tops are 35 inches deep and 90 inches wide. I had them built at 36 inch counter top height. I am building a custom base for the island top with storage and a overhang on three sides for bar stools.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Off to a great start.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sonny3
    This is the Egg table top after I cut the hole for the Medium.  It had already been framed for the egg.  I was going to delay buying the Medium, but then thought what the heck, just go ahead and do it right the first time.  We have quite a few family gatherings here so the XL will get good use.  The medium will be extra space for those events and also work for just the wife and I the rest of the time. This is after I have applied 3 coats of Marine Spar Varnish.  At little more sanding and another 2 coats and they will be ready.
  • Sonny3
    Just wanted to say again, thanks for making me feel welcomed here.  This place looks like it will be a very informative and a lot of fun.
  • Congrats and welcome to the site.  You've got quite the combo to get started with.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  Have fun!
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Welcome aboard. Those table are looking great.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL