Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Time and Temp

Options
I am going to do my first RS. I have (2) 2.5" ribeyes. How long will it take to get to the desired temp of 110* at 250 egg temp.  Is that the desired temp if I want to end up at 125 after the 60 second per side sear?  Thanks
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    Roughly 7-8 min at 250*. You should be good with 60 seconds per side. I normally do 225* and it takes about 10 min at most. Then depending on thickness 1-1.5 min per side for medium rare
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    10 minutes?  I was thinking an hour?
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Yea, i did 2" strips a while back and it took about 45 mins to get to 115
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    JP, what temp?  Thanks
  • johnnyp
    Options
    I don't know, it was about a month ago.

approx ~250 give or take 25*
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Sorry man, I'm not the type who documents cook details.  good luck!
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Maybe mine weren't the full 2" cut but damn it didn't take an hour for sure... Looks like I'm recalibrating my thermometers lol
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm guessing about 30-40mins @250 and your 60secs sounds about right.  I've got an 1 1/2" ribeye on now @250 indirect and it has gone up 5 degrees in about 5mins but it was put on straight outta da fridge at 46°

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I cook at 275 to an IT of 110. Pull, foil, remove the plate setter and stoke to about 550. Put them back on for about 1.5 minutes a side. Use your inner "grill force" on the sear..............you can tell when they're ready to come off. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just trying to get a basic idea so the family unit isn't staring at me at 9:00 wondering where the hell dinner is. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Notes?  How about a graph?  Grill was at 320 degrees F and the meat IT started at 46 degrees.  Took 29 minutes to get it up to 120 degrees ... it coasted for another 10 degrees while the egg was fired up to sear at 600 degrees.

There's always an initial lag time while the heat permeates to the center of the cut ... shorter time for thinner steak ... duh.  Then it's a relatively linear climb until target temp.  The slope seems to be different for different cuts of meat, different toughness of the meat, and different grill temps.  But, in all cases, once past the initial lag, you can calculate when the target IT is going to be reached for your particular cut of meat.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
     @Rebhanmh must have been cooking direct and close to the coals to bring a steak up that fast. I did a sear first then finished on a different egg at 350° degrees yesterday. It took longer than 12 minutes after a 2 minute sear per side. When I transfer to the second egg, dead center temps were 85°and 90° on the other. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @stemc33's post brings up a good point.  When doing a reverse sear, the steak rests for five or six minutes while the egg comes up to temp.  A one minute sear shouldn't add that much heat energy to the center of the steak that it needs a full 10 or so minute rest after searing ... yes/no/maybe?

Do you rest after searing? How long?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @Que_n_Brew - its hard to give a time, but I would start with those on the grill about 1.5 hours before sit down to dinner time.   Also, after the initial roasting, I like the meat to sit for 20 - 30 minutes.  With that rest kind of rest, I would pull at 118.  I have found with a rest long enough for the internal temp to settle down, I can pull a good bit closer to my target final internal temp.  Also, I sear down low so I'm brown in no time flat.  Your sear setup is a factor on when to pull after roasting as well.   Good luck and let's see pictures.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    @stemc33's post brings up a good point.  When doing a reverse sear, the steak rests for five or six minutes while the egg comes up to temp.  ...

Do you rest after searing? How long?
    I don't rest after searing, the 10 minute rest during egg heat up does the trick, and when you sear, as you said, you're only affecting (effecting?) the outer sixteenth of an inch.

You can, of course, rest it after the sear, but I don't believe anything would change.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    agree.  The rest has already happened.  In my experience, you need to rest long enough after the roast, to let the internal temp settle...otherwise, it climbs too high during sear.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help.  The first RS was a big success.  As requested, here are a few pics...