Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless beef chuck ribs Costco

Options
I thought I'd give these a try.
Boneless beef chuck short ribs from Costco.

My plan: Marinate 3 hours in some Grill Crazy marinade. Indirect, liquid in drip-pan, 225* dome temp,  handful of hickory chips for smoke, foil when internal temp reach 180*.
Hoping for some good results. 

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out.  I almost picked up some at my Costco last week.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @176 internal. I'm about to foil them.
    New Orleans

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Can't wait to see the pay off pictures.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TigerTony
    Options
    Dinner is served!
    I foiled at 180* with a little beef broth and marinade. Placed back in the egg for another hour. 
    They look and taste awesome! I'm slightly disappointed with the tenderness of the beef. It's not the results I was shooting for. Don't get me wrong they were tender and not tough. Nothing though like the results of the beef ribs I cook. 
    My wife,  daughters, son-in-laws all say I'm being way to critical on my self. 
    They are saying that they loved them.
    I'll give these another try some day, with some tweaking.
    I'd love for others to cook these and find a proven method.

New Orleans

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    turn out incredible after 72 hours in a sous vide. Have never done them on the egg
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Dinner is served!
    I foiled at 180* with a little beef broth and marinade. Placed back in the egg for another hour. 
    They look and taste awesome! I'm slightly disappointed with the tenderness of the beef. It's not the results I was shooting for. Don't get me wrong they were tender and not tough. Nothing though like the results of the beef ribs I cook. 
    My wife,  daughters, son-in-laws all say I'm being way to critical on my self. 
    They are saying that they loved them.
    I'll give these another try some day, with some tweaking.
    I'd love for others to cook these and find a proven method.

If they weren't melt tender, I would think they were underdone.  With those (because no bone) it is best to get good smoke on them, then braise them till they get home.  Or grind them for some awesome burgers!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TigerTony
    Options
    @cazzy  they were not melt tender. Probably should have gone longer, like you say. When I checked them coming out of the foil they were right at 200* . I thought that was the magic number. I should have waited until they felt tender to the touch.

New Orleans