Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooks illustrated/ reverse sear

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5cedbefe.jpg
<p />i tried the 100 degree water trick with a rump roast last night. after about 1.5 hours, i had to tie the roast to get it to stand up as it gets real soft. cooked at about 325 direct raised grill until it was 125 internal. while the roast was cooking i lit the small for a final sear. i normally sear first but i didnt want to burn the string. this roast was tender and juicy, camera batteries died before i could get a pic of the slices. ran out of ice also so it was jim beam, water, and frozen blueberries. this forum is bad for me. yesterday essex county starts a thread about lobster forcing me to buy a roll. then clayq has a thread about rump roast. i was just planning to have some hotdogs
eac4a2d4.jpg
56719cb7.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    fishlessman,
    How long on the raised grid to reach the 125...and did you flip during that time?[p]Looks good.[p]Mike

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    fishlessman,
    nice roast but can you show more on your lump igniter, my mapp torch needs changing. TIA

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    i was trolling by the house waiting to hear the alarm so i really dont know. maybe a half hour or a little longer but not sure.the pit temp was rising towards 400 when i took it off as well. it did come out a perfect pink throughout. i had bought a roast a little over 5 pounds and cut it in half for tonight as well, will cook this one to 120 and sear and see what the difference is.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    ive melted a few mapp torches, scary times. ive had this one for over a year and like it. on a 40 pound pig it lasts forever. i didnt get the one with the igniter because i always burnt that feature our quickly on the mapp torches. make sure to remove your dome therm before using because you may wreck the calibration. it would be nicer if the handle was even longer as it is very hot. wear gloves when grabbing the dome handle as well

[ul][li]weed burner[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]How was the blueberry beam?[p]E
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    surprisingly good. ive got lots from last years crop frozen that i need to get rid of before this years harvest. it didnt really flavor the beverage, but was like eating a desert before pouring another.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i did some massive filets the same way...
    gave them a bath, then borught them up to 120 or so at 350 (looked real weird to see brownish meat and no real sear/grill marks).[p]then ueber-nuked them.[p]was nice not waiting for the dome temp to come down, but rather go up.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    how were they compared to a trex. ive been reluctant to try this with an expensive cut. so far cheap thin cuts have come out better and a rump roast has been outstanding

fukahwee maine

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    fishlessman,
    OK...I see that Clay did his raised indirect and you did yours raised direct. That's why I was wondering if you had to flip. What's the advantage of one over the other? Curious minds...[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    i almost always cook roasts direct. with something that is going to cook fast i dont think it needs to be cooked indirect. i did flip the roast once during the cook, but with the raised grid it didnt need it.

fukahwee maine

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Many Thanks! Just found a stuffed chili recipe in a New Mexico magazine that I think I'm gonna try tonight. Calls for sausage, 1/2 pound (I'll use One Shot's half and half venison and pork), 1 garlic clove, 3/4 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, 2 10 oz. pkgs. chopped spinach, 2 cups soft bread crumbs, 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese and an egg. It calls for the long, New Mexico chilis, but I may try poblanos.[p]
    Brown sausage and spices, drain and discard fat Chop mushrooms and add to mixture. Squeeze all moisture from spinach and add to mixture and brown about 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, then egg and cheese. Mix well and season to taste. Pack chilis (cut lengthwise) with mixture and bake at 400 until peppers are tinged brown.[p]Sounds like a great Egg cook to me.[p]Mike

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    it was easier in terms of timing/temps than T-rexing, simply becasue it's easier/faster to go from 350-400 to 800 than the other way.[p]otherwise, no major difference.[p]it is odd, though, to pull a limp chunk of tenderloin out of a warm water bath, then let it limp along slowly at 400 before searing.[p]looks very sad.
    i think most steaks really deep down inside want to be thrown onto a roaring lump-fest.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante