Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given a recipe for Tandoori Chicken which I attempted yesterday.
One thing that I would do differently next time would be to remove the skin. I just threw the marinade ingredients together and plopped the whole chicken pieces into the mixture to sit overnight in the fridge. Removal of the skin would allow the meat to take on the flavors better as well as that wonderful red coloring from the spices. I'll try it with boneless/skinless chicken this week.
Nevertheless, a good first attempt. I'll continue working the recipe for Eggtoberfest and post it thereafter.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]Good stuff! I'm planning on doing some for Eggtoberfest! There's a great Indian food store around the block from my home and I've cooked Tandori chicken several times. You're exactly right about the skin, much more flavor when skin is removed![p]Smokey

• bdavidson
    Options
    Smokey,
    Got this recipe from a friend of mine that owns the local Indian Restaurant. Will you use boneless/skinless breasts for Eggtoberfest? I can just see my wife and I trying to go through airport security carying a cooler full of marinating chicken breasts! I'm sure they'll get a lot of that next Friday! See you in ATL!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I think the chicken cooks better with the skin on, as it acts as a self basting layer. Without the skin, the outside layer of meat dries out more when cooking. When I marinade chicken (most of the time), I loosen the skin and work the marinade under the skin. That seems to hold the marinade nicely, and IMO penetraes better than with no skin.[p]Just some thoughts. Have a great day!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I find that cooking chicken with the skin intact works best for most recipes, but not for this one. The yogurt is a great marinade base and seems to prevent the chicken from drying out. You also cook at a higher temp than the usual 300-350 for poultry, thereby searing in the moisture. Like I said, I'll eggsperiment with it both ways before offering it at Eggtoberfest next week.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    What works best for you is the best way! Wish I were going to be there to sample your chicken....as well as much other great stuff. Keep us posted on your findings!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    We're flying out of and into BWI. I'll give you a sample at the gate! :-)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Apparently Tandoori Chicken is going to be well represented at Eggfest this year. As KennyG and I sitting around yesterday discuss what to cook, I decided upon Tandoori Chicken as one of things that I was going to cook. It is going to be fun to see how everyone’s turns out.[p]Happy Egging,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• bdavidson
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Like chicken wings at Eggfest!
    I may have to try my hand at nan to go with the chicken.

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I was thinking about that, but how would you get the dough to rise properly? Although, some of the frozen Partha or Roti is very good.
    R&J

• bdavidson
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I'm going to work on it and to see what I can come up with in time for the Fest. Perhaps Spin won't mind if I use his pizza stone.

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Maybe I should switch to Tandoori Lamb or even shrimp?
    Just thinking,
    R&J