Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Dinner - Thanks Cooks Illustrated

BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Following a story on leg of lamb in a recent Cooks Illustrated, we started with a boneless leg. I took it out of the wrap and butterflied it; then brined it in a quarter cup salt, quarter cup sugar, 6 crushed cloves of garlic and a quart of water. After 2 hours I patted it dry and smeared the interior with a paste made of 2 tablespoons roasted garlic and 2 tablespoons minced parsley. I rolled it jellyroll style and rested it in icebox.[p]Finally I cranked up Lennie (Small BGE) to 650 and seared the lamb 2 minutes per side. That done I removed the lamb and shut Lennie down till the dome temp fell to 375. It took about 20 minutes more to bring the lamb to 125 internal.[p]It was mah-velous! Best lamb two lamb fans ever had. (The rest of dinner wasn't bad either: a Paula Deen dish - zucchini custard, and a big ol' pot of collards.)[p]Ken

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    BlueSmoke,[p]Sounds great. Pics? We finished our lamb kebabs. Simply Mavelous! I'll post pictures after a Fernet Branca digestive.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    DSCN2625.JPG?dc=4675568709624915973
    <p />BlueSmoke, What could possibly top that? How about my bro in law, preparing the whole thing for us and cooking it over here on my small egg! What a great dish. It was the best lamb I've ever eaten. Here's a pic of him brazing it before the cook. We also used some mesquite which complemented it quite well, as did the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

• Borders
    DSCN2634.JPG?dc=4675568709654890072
    <p />BlueSmoke, And this was my contribution--Dr Chicken's Double Smoked Ham. This recipe turned a cheap Publix ham into a great ham. Great stuff, but that lamb was the hit.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Borders ,[p]Man...you gotta love those Dutch Ovens!![p]Looks mighty tasty~~~[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Borders
    Chubby, I've gotta say, I thought of you when he broke that thing out. Have a good one, Scott

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Scott, you ought to see the slick technique he uses to remove the hot fire ring when making a Grate Mate's set-up/change!! ROTFL......

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    egret,[p]You know.........[p]You are becoming a problem!![p]Evans[p][p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Excuuuuuuse meeee! If you hadn't gone to such lengths to belittle us in our efforts to try and do the setup change I wouldn't have said a word! I mean, you made us feel about 2 inches tall by pushing us aside and proclaiming this was a job for an "expert"!!
    Now, I want to talk to you about a design change....................LOL.
    See you in Waldorf, Evans.