Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Method for subtle temp control?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To tune in a delicate setting like 200 degrees, which is best to nudge, the bottom slide door or the daisy?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    For a lo fire, after getting a small group of coals going near the top of the pile, I put the daisy on wide open, and close the bottom vent to about 1/4 inch. As the temp slowly climbs past 150, I close the daisy halfway, and tap the bottom vent to about 1/8 inch. As I appproach 200 I will tap the bottome vent closed a small tad more. I like to leave the daisy opening larger than the bottom opening....just seems to burn cleaner that way.[p]200 is awfully low for most cooks though....especially when going indirect. I only use that temp for doing jerky.[p]Hope that helps a tad....evryone has their own methods.
    What's cookin??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    My first Boston Butt, as per Elder Ward's recipe. He actually recommends 195 degrees.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]The unfortunate result of the printed page is that once its printed -- it's unchangeable. The same is true (to some degree) with the recipes on this forum. When EW printed up that recipe/novel, about 2 years ago, the forum was only a year old and very few here to read and test it out. Once in awhile the Webmaster, at that time, would change one if asked to by the poster. Since his passing, the recipes have remained pretty much just as posted and that one is a good example of a fine recipe/style/novel that needs a tweek here and there to be even better than when published (sorting of lump and 195 deg for example). The same is very very true of the recipes in the manual - they were developed before better techniques came along, but it's been printed so it's "cast in stone" and is why we all tell new members to avoid the manual. Many here don't suggest cooking below 200 and even 200 is to low and hard to hold - many suggest 225 and up. [p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Bud Jones, different BUTTS will vary - the common target by most is about 200I (internal) temp. [p]The real test is to stick a fork in the butt (in a few places) and twist it - if it moves easily and feels like the pork will fall apart, it may be done at 195, or 196, or 197, etc. - I actually pulled one off at 192I and another at 202I. Good luck - it will turn out perfect!