Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood charcoal

Options
Where is the best place to get this charcoal at? I have only seen it online at one dealer called Firecraft. I have not seen this locally either, does anyone have any suggestions.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Firecraft is my only option. Some Ace hardware carry it and others can order it in if they don't carry it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Put your zip code in this webpage and see who's near you:
    http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Where are you?  Most ace hardware in the SE can order as little as 1 bag. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    There is ONE place in the state of Indiana that stocks it. It's 10 miles from home, so I just buy my lump at Amazon, and pick up some Rockwood if I happen to be nearby the lone Ace Hardware that stocks it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I wish I only had to drive ten miles for bge supplies.  I have to drive 45 minutes to find decent rubs.  Really the closest BBQ store to me is in Augusta 2.5 hours away.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Most Ace hardware a stock it routinely.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    There is ONE place in the state of Indiana that stocks it. It's 10 miles from home, so I just buy my lump at Amazon, and pick up some Rockwood if I happen to be nearby the lone Ace Hardware that stocks it.
    That's the funniest thing I've read today. Do you go pick up lump with this? 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    You really don't get outside 10 miles of your home? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    The Ace stores in SE Florida want $26/bag plus tax and have to order it. I ordered from Firecraft. Delivered to my door for less.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes I live in Corpus Christi Tx., but there is none in stock near me. I guess i am just going to buy it through fire craft.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The Ace stores in SE Florida want $26/bag plus tax and have to order it. I ordered from Firecraft. Delivered to my door for less.
    True, but my local ACE gets deliveries from the GA warehouse that has the Rockwood every Wednesday and Saturday. Only need to let them know I need a bag a couple days in advance. Only need to order one bag at a time so I don't need to warehouse a supply at my home.  They also carry it out to my car while I am at the register paying for it.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Please say that is a round trip!  Otherwise 10 miles 1 way is criminal!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I drive 75ish miles to get BBQ stuff including Rockwood. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    We drive 50-75 miles one way just for lunch/dinner sometimes. I know people who drive 200+ miles one way to eat lunch at a favorite restaurant on Saturday and then drive home after.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    My wife ordered my last Rockwood from Firecraft...no complaints whatsoever.

It is about an hour and a half to my Rockwood dealer in Lexington...I hate it for my good friend there, but I can't beat the Firecraft ( no shipping over $99) and delivered to the front door. 

No problems with lump being broken up or full of dust either...this was my first time ordering online though.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• flhxnick
    flhxnick Posts: 66
    Options
    Tried to order some from firecraft yesterday and was back ordered till the 6th of July. Was sent an email confirming this
    XLBGE in plainview,new york
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    flhxnick said:
    Tried to order some from firecraft yesterday and was back ordered till the 6th of July. Was sent an email confirming this
    I ordered two weeks ago and they said it wouldn't ship until the 1st,, shipped a week earlier than they estimated.  Hopefully they are just being conservative on shipping estimates.

On a side note...Has anyone used the KJ lump in the brown bag?  It is being sold at Costco during the KJ roadshow at a good price and was wondering if it had the neutral smoke flavor of Rockwood?
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    HDmstng...nothing has the flavor of Rockwood !!!!!  Can you tell that I love my Rockwood ??

LOL !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    HDmstng said:
    flhxnick said:
    I ordered two weeks ago and they said it wouldn't ship until the 1st,, shipped a week earlier than they estimated.  Hopefully they are just being conservative on shipping estimates.

On a side note...Has anyone used the KJ lump in the brown bag?  It is being sold at Costco during the KJ roadshow at a good price and was wondering if it had the neutral smoke flavor of Rockwood?
    Not sure on the brown bag, but the red bag is supposedly really good stuff.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    We drive 50-75 miles one way just for lunch/dinner sometimes. I know people who drive 200+ miles one way to eat lunch at a favorite restaurant on Saturday and then drive home after.
    Damn. The food must be good.....
    GWN
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Toxarch said:

LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Which Ace in Indy is it @DieselkW ? I may stop in next time I am up that way for soccer tournaments or something. I always order from Firecraft.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've driven 200+ miles to watch a football game and then drive back home after. Not a huge deal for me.

It's a city vs country thing. City people near downtown don't drive more than 10 miles. Maybe it's traffic, maybe it's because they don't have to go too far to get something, maybe they are lazy. People in rural areas and in the country have no problem driving long distance for everything. Gotta drive 50 miles to go somewhere, it's not a big deal. The farther you live from the downtown of a major city, the longer distance you are willing to drive to get anywhere. Most often that distance is defined by the highway loop. Outside the loop? Forget it.

I've got a brother that only comes to see me once a year because I live too far away. It's a major ordeal for him to travel that far. I live 50 miles from him and go to his house often. He lives in Dallas.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I drive 85 miles round trip to work.  Takes me 45 minutes each way. People in NYC live 3 miles outside the city and it takes them longer. It's time, not distance, that matters.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • DieselkW
    Options
    OK, OK, hope ya'll had fun. =)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    OK, OK, hope ya'll had fun. =)
    From your signature line... Fixed it for you...

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. ---Oh wait, what the hell am I thinking, I ain't driving that damn far... I'll hardly drive 10 miles to get lump charcoal.  

:tongue: 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DieselkW
    Options
    @tarheelmatt : "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"

Indianapolis, IN