Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering entering a competition, and I need some advice

Options
I was wondering how many BGE would be sufficient and how many would be ideal for a comp. I have a large, and I have access to a couple of more large and a medium. What would you recommend? 

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What categories are you cooking? That, more than anything else will determine capacity requirements.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You can do it with 2. Cook big meat the night before (butts and brisket on each). Sat morning, you can pull and store those in a cambro. Use 1 for ribs and 1 for chicken Sat morning through turn ins. I would suggest 2 XLs but 2 Ls would work.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    In a perfect world, for a kcbs competition, you would have 4 larges.  However as others have alluded you could make do with two.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    There are people who compete with BGEs and even some who do pellet smokers. Most do large stick burners. You could definitely do it with a couple of Eggs. The main issue I notice in pictures here is the much smaller smoke ring compared to what you see from a stick burner. Judges like the thicker smoke ring and appearance is one of the things you are judged on.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Appearance is one of the things but it is weighted the least. Taste and Tenderness are still most important.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    I was wondering how many BGE would be sufficient and how many would be ideal for a comp. I have a large, and I have access to a couple of more large and a medium. What would you recommend? 

You will need a minimum of 2 larges. IMO (of course harry soo placed well on a single mini wsm)

You start with butts in one and brisket in the other, at about 4 or 5 you can combine those into one and put the ribs on the other. This is where a 3rd egg would be nice (medium is fine here) so you can throw the chicken on at 10ish. Though you can probably transfer the butts and briskets to cambro to do the chicken back on the first egg.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Also, you don't have to enter every category. You can start with one or two and then add more after a couple of competitions. I've got a buddy that only does brisket, ribs and chili. His wife does chili only. She almost always beats him at chili.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    There are people who compete with BGEs and even some who do pellet smokers. Most do large stick burners. You could definitely do it with a couple of Eggs. The main issue I notice in pictures here is the much smaller smoke ring compared to what you see from a stick burner. Judges like the thicker smoke ring and appearance is one of the things you are judged on.
    We cooked this on ceramic kamado cookers including BGE, I think this is a pretty good smoke ring, regardless of cooker.  Pics are from 2 different comps.  

If you do all 4 meats then I highly suggest 4 cookers, chicken could be done on a weber kettle or similar.  I am referring to a KCBS comp with 4 meats.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @b&bknox how did the competition go this weekend? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    @b&bknox how did the competition go this weekend? 
    We thought it went better than the judges did, lol.  Think we were 15th out of 39, with our best being pork at 11 and brisket (top picture 12th).  Rained like crazy for much of it.  As you know the kamados are unaffected by weather.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Toxarch
    Options
    The smoke ring in your picture looks fine.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Good job, nice smoke ring for an Egg :)

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Just sprinkle some sodium nitrite on it. Same chemical reaction, and they supposedly don't judge on the smoke ring (liars).
    Options
    yea sure they don't (judge smoke ring), just like it's okay to leave burnt ends out of the box (not if you want a high score).  We don't use nitrites in our rubs to get the ring just figured out a great way to do it.  The pork money muscle smoke ring was over 1/3 of its diameter.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN