Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gimme Shelter

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
I'm makin a new egging area on the side of my garage. The wiffy is getting tired of me cooking in the driveway in front of the garage! Anywho, I wuz looking into installing a retractable awning to cover the cooking area. They look pretty cool, and like they would provide a great shelter for my Q endeavors.[p]Any suggestions on what to look for?? What to look out for??? Good brands??? There seems to be a wide variety available, and was hoping someone here has some experience with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated....they aren't cheap, and I want to make the right choice.[p]Thanks much.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Nature Boy,
    Check you E-mail. Oh, I forgot one thing mine is motorized.
    Fireball

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    This looks a well made awning,the only problem i see is you need to make sure it's rolled up when it snows.
    YB

[ul][li]Roll out Awning[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy, You shoulda paid more attention during your tour up here in Canada. Remember the Skydome with the retractable roof? Now, that's whatcha need!! (Sorry; Friday of a long weekend and the phones are quiet. A deadly combo). Oh yeah, it's Thanksgiving up here in the GWN, brined bird and pumpkin pie with maple syrup wine from our local fruit winery being the highlights to come. Unfortunately, gathering is at my sister's place 125 miles from the nearest Egg, so it won't be smoked turkey, but I did managed to sell them on brining the oven bird.
    Cheers and good luck with your awning project and more 'legitimate' advise. :0
    BBQfan1

• Nature Boy
    Fireball,
    Thanks. Got your email. How does it work with heavy rain?? My wife says she heard you have to fold them up during heavy rain....but dang....that wouldn't help much.
    Thanks again
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Yardboy,
    Great review, and info. Thanks a bunch.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Fireball,
    I am very interested in a motorized awning to cover my deck. Could you please post any info you have on where to get a good one? Thanks, Billy

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Billy,
    I have a "SunSetter" motorized awning. The toll free number is 800-876-2340. Post your E-mail address and I will be glad to give you the details of this off subject off the forum.
    Fireball [p]

• Nature Boy,[p] The real problem you have is with the wind that tends to accompany the heavy rain. The motorized ones are a bit more susceptible to this since they don't have the side braces like the normal "pull-out" awnings. I installed a Sunsetter "pull-out" awning for my parents. With the side braces in place and the additional "rainway arches" and "deflappers", the awning can take quite a bit of rain (without the arches, rain can pool up on the top of the awning) and some wind. Still, if it's seriously storming outside, you'll want to retract it. Obviously, the bigger the awning, the more likely it is to be affected by gusts. I'll have my parents bring the promotional video up today (they're going to be visiting).[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    MikeO,
    Thanks much.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com