Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butts on a medium?

Options
ccrider.disabled
ccrider.disabled Posts: 168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am carrying my medium, large too heavy to be putting in my Explorer, to do a butt cook. My question; What arrangement do some people use and what size butts? I have already bought a 2 pack from Sam's that weighs 16#s. That is what I normally cook on my large. I just can't see how to get 2 that size on the medium. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe just get a couple of smaller butts?
Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning ccrider:[p]Doing two butts that size on a medium is not a problem at all. I done as many as three that size on my medium before and they have turned out just fine. Just put them on and don't worry about it. Even if they are touching each other a little when you start, they will shrink as they cook.[p]HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    SSN686,
    I take it from your handle you're an ex bubblehead!!?? Myabe even a nuke?? I'm not a bubblehead, but retired Navy chief (NCC) with 22 years in........

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning gene:[p]Yes, I am an ex-nuke bubblehead. Served from 1971 to 1979 and am a Plank Owner from the L. Mendle Rivers (SSN686) and the Cincinnati (SSN693). Liked being on the Rivers a whole lot more than on the Cinci.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    SSN686,
    I never was a plankowner, but I am a shellback. I retired after Desert Storm in 1992; my last command was the USS Nitro (AE-23), Earle, NJ. Being in New Jersey was like being a duck out of water....I was ready to get back home to the south...eheh...never will forget when I first when to NJ was in September and when I went to the local large grocery store and couldn't find charcoal for grilling because "it's a seasonal item; we don't carry it after August".......

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Thanks Jay.
    I guess that I just need to adapt to the smaller size and not worry so much about spacing.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    8-Butts.jpg
    <p />ccrider,[p]Sometimes you just have to rearrange the butts to fit. Fat Cap up does not work all the time. When I do 8 butts at a time, I usually have some finish before others. That's where having a Thermapen comes in really handy.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas