Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine wings?

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HELP(again), this Sat. I plan to do up some WaWa wings for a friend to help demo. the BGE's he sells.I've brined chicken and cornish hens,they're great,but would it be worth the time and effort to brine wing pieces? I want to get the best taste possible.(ETTA WANG BUYA EGG).As always Thanx for info. Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bamabob,
    I have brined wings before. They were excellent. They are great without the brine, but it did add that little something. I did Brant's brine (my favorite from his beer-butt recipe) for about 14 hours, then used tanker Tim's Okinawan marinade. Thought they might be too salty, but they weren't.
    Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    wing2.jpg
    <p />Bamabob,[p]I would not brine if you're going to do Wa Wa wings per the recipe since they come out very salty anyway. I like Wa Wa wings but I use a 4-1 blend (less BGE spice) than the original recipe calls for. This reduces the saltyness a little but you don't any extra!! They are good and easy to do. These are Okinawan wings and Wa Wa wings. Keep temps below 375 to avoid a grease fire if you do alot of wings.[p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Cat must have missed this post. I love brining. She taught me. I think of her as "The Sulten/Sultress? of Salt" I can't help you but I'm paying close attention to this thread.[p]GOOOOOOOOOOOO--BAMA,,(please!)

• Bamabob
    Options
    Nature Boy, Many thanks for input I didn't have time to try Bryant's brine this time but finally found it again and will test it soon.Like TimM mentioned I was afraid of getting too salty,the wings were for folks to try that didn't know about BGE's. Cooked 10# of wing pieces today used WAWA recipe but mixed 1 BGE to 4 Obie mix,Was just right.Put HOT Bone Suckin' sauce on about 1/2 during last 10min of cook.SUPER GOOOOD. Bob[p]
  • PRobinson
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]Is "Obie Mix" a recipe? or a product? If so, where can it be purchased? Thanks.
  • Bamabob
    Options
    PRobinson,
    The Obie mix is a freita? mix that I got from my BGE seller. When combined with the BGE seasoning makes a great wing rub.I tried other freita seasonings but none I tried was as good. You can find it on line at www.obiecue.com I have been using the regular, but have ordered some HOT to try.Good luck. Bob