Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland install question

Options
Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
Recently ordered a Rutland for my large which has had a pretty singed gasket
for a long time, and MM which I know eventually will need a replacement. I took the recommended sanding wheel to the old gasket and am curious, do I need to get down to perfect white everywhere, or will this be sufficient? I feel like in some parts, I'm taking too much material away. 
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I really don't think you're likely to hurt it one way or the other unless you sand away a big trough of the rim. That being said, it looks pretty good to me; similar to when I did mine ~3 years ago.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Depends on the adhesive you plan to use! As long as there is any topical substance then that will prevent the new adhesive from biting into the ceramic pores. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Greeno55
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @RRP - Going with the ultra copper you recommended. It's all pretty smooth, and nothing that feels sticky or greasy. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I will defer to @RRP for all advice on this topic. I bought my Rutland from him, and installed exactly the way he suggested. Worked great!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Here's what mine looked like when I replaced my gasket last fall. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    @RRP - Going with the ultra copper you recommended. It's all pretty smooth, and. I thing that feels sticky or greasy. 
    not sure what you mean by "I thing that feels sticky or greasy". If it is sticky or greasy then you need to clean some more. I also recommend using a pumice stone in my written instructions.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Fat fingers --- small iPhone keyboard. Nothing feels sticky or greasy. I went back out and gave it another go to make sure everything was ground away. I was just worried about taking too much ceramic material. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    Fat fingers --- small iPhone keyboard. Nothing feels sticky or greasy. I went back out and gave it another go to make sure everything was ground away. I was just worried about taking too much ceramic material. 
    Sorry, Tim...I didn't recognize your moniker. If it isn't sticky or greasy then you are probably fine.