Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Gasket when using Rutland?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find the answer. :(

I'm considering a Rutland gasket but since it's only supposed to go on the bottom, do people put anything on the top as well?
-lee.
LBGE in Waterloo, ON

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    No... I think you take the top one off and just go naked.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Yep
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532

These are the instructions and info I got from @RRP via email. He is the nicest guy to deal with told him what I wanted and he shipped it quickly and then gave me his payment info once it was on its way. If you want a gasket he's the man.   

Since 2002 I have sold Rutland gaskets as a service to fellow eggers. To date I have supplied exactly 1,611 gaskets to people in 48 states and 11 foreign countries!

I purchase the gasket on reels which have 157 feet. That way I can sell the length needed for each size egg. 

You apply the gasket using an automotive product called Permatex Ultra Copper – which I do NOT supply. Most every automotive supply chain store in the US (AutoZone, NAPA, Pep Boys, O’Reilly) carries the Permatex and it runs about $8 for one tube which is more than enough for one gasket. In  Canada the chain Canadian Tire sells it. It is a high temperature silicone gasket maker which acts as an adhesive to bond the Rutland to your cooker’s ceramic edge. Years later if you wish to remove it, it will come off.

Frequently eggers will ask me how long does a Rutland gasket last? I reply that I honestly don’t know! The Rutland on my Large egg that gets regular use is now 10 years old and other than being darker from years of charcoal dust settling on it it nearly looks and performs as good as when it was new. The real explanation is that the Rutland gasket withstands 2,200 degrees which is far above any temperature that a BGE is capable of producing at the gasket level!

Are you familiar with the application process whereby you compress or "bunch" the gasket back into itself thus making it both thicker and wider than the 5/8" so as to cover your entire edge? In doing so you  apply the Rutland on ONE side only - not both and my recommendation is it is applied only to the base, not the dome.

“Bunching” is really simple.

Lay your gasket down like this with your fingers on it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3613_zps324d4ba6.jpg.html

Now slide your fingers together while pressing down:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3614_zpsf2e3d754.jpg.html

See how the gasket is now wider and thicker? That is “bunching” and you’ll get very good at it very quickly.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3612_zps466a1547.jpg.html

I recommend you "bunch at least 6" or more ahead of ever pushing the gasket into the bed of adhesive. You want the Permatex to bite and grab right from the start with very limited moving other than to align it with the curvature of the egg's base. When properly laid your finished gasket will look like this.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_0383.jpg.html

BTW if you want to also buy one for a buddy then just ask me for a quote as the price goes down since I can ship 4 gaskets for essentially the same postage as I can ship just one!

One point of clarification…I just want to make sure you understand that when you apply the Rutland gasket according to my detailed instructions then it is both wider and thicker meaning that only 1 Rutland gasket is needed PER egg - NOT 2. In fact I don’t even recommend putting two Rutlands on a single egg!

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    @ryantt - those are not the instructions I send along with the gaskets I sell, but instead the response to an inquiry about buying one. I want people to have an idea in advance of what they are getting from me for their money and a general idea what they will be doing. I have found in doing so some people won't want the hassle and will prefer to go the peel and stick routine every year or so, rather than doing it with a Rutland and having it last for years to come.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Bottom line, buy it from @RRP and do what the instructions say. It'll work great and you'll be glad you did it for a LONG time to come. Best modification I've ever made to my egg.

It's been a few years now but I still give a strong recommendation every time I see one of these threads pop up.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    I just put on mine about 2 weeks ago.  Little messy, but very easy to install.  Just seems like it fits and seals better than the original gasket.  

Ron warned about a potential odor in the beginning.  I let it cure 24 hours, burned a small 400 degree fire with no food and never even noticed a smell at all.  Have grilled and smoked a brisket since then, again with no odor.  Works great.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have Rutlands on Large and Mini.
    Ron is a great guy with a great product.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • leeman13
    leeman13 Posts: 30
    Thanks @johnmitchell and @THEBuckeye for answering. :) good info by the rest as well. If I go Rutland I'll go with @RRP!!
    -lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I finally got around to ordering mine for the Large and MM.  @RRP was a pleasure to deal with, he shipped it same day.  Now I just need to get the Permatex and install it.  My MM still has a fairly flawless gasket, but I'm considering just getting rid of it right away.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario