Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving house with Egg - new bolts?

Options
Hi,

We're soon going to do an interstate house move using a professional mover. I have the original boxes for my Large BGE so my plan was to disassemble and re-pack.

My question is whether I need to buy new bolts for the bands (as they're bent, as recommended) and, if so, where can I get those?

thanks
matt

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I used the same bolts when I got the replacement top. Too lazy to go up the big box and get new ones. That was 3 years ago. You should be just fine.

Best of luck on the move. They're never fun.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    If they are bent I do replace from Home Depot when we reassemble.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I would replace, in fact I bought about 8 bolts at local ace and keep around for times when I need.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Anyone have any links to online sources to buy Grade 5 bolts of the correct size? Thanks

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    McMaster-Carr... http://www.mcmaster.com/  

If they don't have it, it doesn't exist...

JC
    Atlanta, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The Mothership says they sell the hardware pack separately ... the one that comes with your new, in-the-box egg.  It contains one of everything ... you could redo all your fasteners at the same time and have the red alignment spacers too.  Bruce didn't know the cost, but suggested it was less than $5.

Hit your dealer up to have one shipped in their next order.  I had a problem with my first egg - can't even remember what it was - and my dealer handed me a spare hardware pack and said to keep the rest of the stuff.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Agree with @jeepster47 - might as well do them all if you have it all apart anyway. If you take the inards out and pack like tthey were crystal stemware, the dome and base move just fine - providing there is a gasket. 
    Torque the band bolts when you reassemble, BGE is the only Kamado manufacturer I've seen that actually provides the torque required, 125 inch-pounds, why not use it? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @JC5404L... thanks, what is the proper sized bolt?

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    They are 5/16NC Carriage Bolts if I remember correct...any hardware store should have them
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @dougcrann... minimum length 2" or so?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    5/16 - 18 x 2" grade 5 carriage bolt ...

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I could not find a grade 5 carriage bolt in a big box store. Had to order them.
    Kemah, TX
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    If you just email the mothership they'll mail you more. I am in the process of moving I'm and noticed a broken nut. I emailed and they sent an entire new apache of hardware.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Jeepster47... thanks! Going to order some.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @xiphoid007 ... how about sharing the e-mail address you used. 

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    No problem @Jeepster47 !

customer-support@biggreenegg.com

Just the generic email from the BGE main website. I've had 2 minor issues and Duane has gotten back to me quickly and with excellent info. I've really been very impressed. He's always emailed me back from the generic email, but I've never had anything but excellent service.

I also know people have emailed a guy named Bruce with good success as well. I've pulled his email from the forum as well.

Bruce@biggreenegg.com

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @xiphoid007 ... thanks

@Skiddymarker sent me a copy of an old order sheet.  Between it and a 2012 catalog from BAC sales, here is a starting point for the order numbers for hardware packs:

HPXLB ... Hardware Pack for XL Band
    HPSAB ... Hardware Pack for S/M/L Band
    HPSMini ... Hardware Pack for Mini Band

One BBQ place shows a picture of the HPSAB package ... no red spacers in it, just nuts and bolts.