Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt??

King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cooked a Boston Butt on this Egg thingy. I am going to try one and needed some pointers. Does it take long to cook? I need it by Saturday around noon.

Comments

• King-O-Coals,[p] Normally, the Boston butt is one of the preferred cuts for pulled pork (the other being the picnic roast). For advice on that, see the thread below this one on the forum page and also see the recipe section. You still have time to get it going if you rub it down soon and put in on the BGE tomorrow morning. How big a butt do you have ;-)? Normally, I cook a 9-10 pounder for about 24 hours. I've never tried to cook one for anything except pulling.[p]MikeO
  • King-O-Coals,
    Nice to see you back!
    Follow Mike O's directions. You could also read Elder Wards tome on North Carolina Pulled Pork.
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk,
    HA! That baby is in the fridge ala-Elder right now. I was just funning wid-yall. I'm starting up my winter program with a BigButt. It's winter here now. It got down to 66 degrees the other day and we nearly froze to death. My next target will be Dave's Ranch Style Beans,, hummm, or maybe his Deer Camp Chilli. Thanks MikeO for replying, even though I was messin around with yall. It's like walking back into a hometown tavern. I see the old regulars are still giving good advice to new members. It's heart warming to see, considering the same advice is given untold times. The patience and understanding here is unmatched on any forum of any subject. I've been busier than a three legged cat in a sandbox after a night of heavy feeding. Guru of Grease and myself are winding down after a summer of the usual over-eating and way-over-drinking. I guess you could say, the Pirates of the Gulf have pilfered and plundered and left the game and fish people wondering where all species went. "BURP",,, we haven't a clue:)

• King-O-Coals,
    NORMMMM!
    Isn't nice to have a place where everyone knows your name.
    Ha, nice joke.[p]... And the old man was dreaming of lions.
    R&J

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    King-O-Coals,[p]You off for the winter? You haven't posted here since b4 summer I think. Busy fire season?? We have been pretty lucky with those "named storms" this year -- so far.[p]Now, cook something![p]Tim
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    King-O-Coals,[p]Nice to see you back, Bruce![p]Cathy

• Tim M,
    Doing a butt tomorrow. First one since I last posted. Not too busy with the fire season down here, but they had a surplus of vodka and grapefruit juice and the fish were crawling up on shore and the shrimp were begging to be eaten. Whew! Guru and I are big boys now. I need to get back to land mammals. I hear there is a problem with pigs reproducing at an alarming rate. Fear not! I am ready..[p]On a sad note, one of our younger guys fell under the wheels of a ladder truck yesterday and suffered fatal injuries. Naturally he was one of the really good guys. I don't know all the specifics yet cause I'm off for a week. Just paceing and thinking. It not only is an unbearable tradgedy to his family, but to the 20 or so other guys that tried to help. It's like loosing a family member. Just ain't right..

• Cat,
    Hey sweetie, and thanks. Whenever I think of this forum, I always think of you first. I'm still a brining fool too. I don't put chickens or pork loins on the egg without their overnight Kosher bath. My friends have seen the difference and are amaized too...

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    King-O-Coals:[p]Your wit and humor have been missed. Good to see you posting on the forum again, sorry for the loss of one of your guys. Tell them boys to be careful.

• djm5x9,
    Greetings fellow Southerner. Thanks for the thoughts. Pretty rough right now. Lots of close friends are wrecked. Everyone is still in shock. Good to be heading into my favorite time of year. Down here, it seems like cool weather, Mr. Humpty, goats, pigs, cows, deer, elk, uhh, possums, squirrels, charcoal, and every other kind of land mammals all go together. Seafood sucks! At least until I haven't had any for a while. Holler at ya later..