Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHAT R T-REX STEAKS

Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME& MAYBE SOME OTHERS (LIKE THE NEWW EGGER,) ON WHAT, HOW, AND WHY ON T-REX STEAKS, I SCROLLED DOWN, DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING, SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING RIGHT NOW, ANYBODY ELSE SUPPOSE TO BE WORKING,

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Jason,[p]Please turn off your cap lock. You are basically yelling in forums when you type everything in all caps. Use all caps for a single word for emphasis.

[ul][li]Here is the T-rex recipe. [/ul]
  • JASON ,
    welcome. . . first, don't TALK IN ALL CAPS. ..in forum language, that is YELLING. ...[p]now, for t-rex steaks... its a popular cooking method for thick steaks (at least 1 1/2 inches thick). ..basically, you sear them at high temps - at least 750 degrees.....then pull them from you egg, let them rest for 20 minutes while you get your egg back to 400 degrees, then put them back in the egg for a few minutes per side to 'dwell' until done. .. for the complete detailed description go the naked whiz's site, under the recipe section and read the entire t-rex story. ...[p]here is a link to a recent post of mine with 3 inch thick steaks. ..

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/252972.htm[/ul]
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Boy, for a bunch of folks that burp and fart near the food while they're actually cooking it, we sure are sticklers for internet manners. [p]LOL[p]that is all...
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    116_1665.jpg
    <p />Dos Huevos, I prefer to slobber......open to more interpretation....[p]116_1666.jpg[p]Anyway, here are a couples steaks I did last week with the cast iron pan, blackening method. Just like TREX but use a super hot pan. Slobbering good stuff. T

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    JASON ,[p]They are only the best thing since beer, sliced bread, the internet and sex.
    Gotta start with a good piece of steak, though. Don't scrimp.[p]Woody54

• JASON,[p]Others have explained it but let me tell you why I like the method so much. Precise control! You sear the steak at high temperature but finish it off at a much lower temperature (I like about 350F) which allows you to moniter the internal temperature with a Polder (or other temp probe) without frying the probe leads. I'll monitor the internal temperature as it slowly rises to about 127F and then yank it off the grill. It's done to a beautiful moist medium rare, no more overcooked steaks, they come out perfect every time.
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    JASON ,[p]Here is a movie I did on T-Rex steaks. Some of my terminology is not correct, but the process is accurate and may help you. You will need QuickTime Player to view.
    Here is the link:[p]http://web.mac.com/philhanna/iWeb/philhanna@mac.com/TREXing a Steak.html[p]Uncle Phil