Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Pork Butt Cook Question

I have smoked only single pork butts in the past and all have turned out pretty good, but I'm wondering if there is any difference in cook time when you're smoking two?

Also what is the ideal internal temperature?  I usually shoot for 190 before I pull it wrap it in tinfoil and let it sit for 2 hours in an insulated cooler.
Florida
1 Lg BGE
Pulling my own pork since 2014

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    There will be a difference in cooking 2 because they will not finish at the same time, but that's it. 
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Just make sure you have adequate airflow between the two.  I've smoked 2 butts in my LBGE at once with no issues.

My Best,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    I always do two at a time to ensure enough left overs. As others have said should not add to the time or require a higher cook temp. However, I tend to pull and wrap mine when the internal temp reaches 200-205. But that is just my preference.  Good luck.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The above is correct, however, I cook to feel, not temp.(if you're going to pull, not chop). I start check when it hits 190 and when all probes like buttah, I'm done. 

Some me people say FTC adds, but I'm always satisfied pulling as soon as it's cool enough to handle. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The only difference in time would be if one was say 10 pounds and the other 8 pounds.  There may be an hour difference or so, but if close to the same weight there shouldn't be.  @theyolksonyou, is correct, go by feel not temp.  I only use temp as a guide to start probing for buttah.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The above is correct, however, I cook to feel, not temp.(if you're going to pull, not chop). I start check when it hits 190 and when all probes like buttah, I'm done. 

Some me people say FTC adds, but I'm always satisfied pulling as soon as it's cool enough to handle. 
    Do you use the thermometer probe to see if the meat is tender enough?  Or do you use a fork?
    Florida
    1 Lg BGE
    Pulling my own pork since 2014

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Usually the thermapen because it's handy, have used a skewer. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    If you are cooking on multiple levels the ones on top will finish first (assuming same size).  Ones closer to back hinge also tend to cook faster (tends to be hotter at back by hinge).

I check when temp hits 190.  At that point I check every 30-60 minutes.  I use my thermapen sometimes because it is handy.  I have also used long skewers to check.

Pull when probes like warm butter, not at temp.  I have done side by side cooks and ideal ftc for me is 2-5 hrs.  Past 5 it begins to dry and less than 2 the flavors don't seem as intense.  If less than 2 you can put some extra rub in when you pull and mix in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    An LBGE will do a lot at one time. I'm doing 5x 8 pounders on Thursday.