Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for an overhaul

Options
Been awhile since I've posted anything up, but I'm still cooking away on my BGE, and loving every minute of it. I must say that I still get as much enjoyment from cooking on my BGE as I did when I fired it up the first few months.  In 6 1/2 yrs of owning and cooking on my BGE, the only thing I've replaced was the gasket--once--and it's long since burned off. Well, I finally decided that it was about time to do an overhaul. As previously said, the gasket is gone, and the firebox and firebox grate are both in pieces. See pics below. It sure hasn't prevented me from great cooks time and time again. Since I was off work today, I decided I'd go to our local BGE dealer and see if I could get me a replacement firebox under warranty and a new firebox grate. Btw, the firebox is the version before they started making them with the expansion gap. Hopefully, in a week's time I'll have my new firebox to go with the new grate I picked up. I already had a roll of gasket. I considered getting a new dome thermometer, but balked when I saw the price. I'll probably pick one up later when I get over the price tag shock. Maybe I'll do a littl research and see if there is an aftermarket one that will suffice for less money. Anyway, I've got my new grate in action as we speak. Need to find some time to put the gasket on. And, hopefully, I'll be putting in a new firebox soon. Man, looking at the new BGEs while I was there, it was pretty obvious that they've made a few changes from when I bought mine.  Sure was liking the looks of those small ones. Would be a great addition to my large.  Happy egging, folks!

Comments

• TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    My oldest egg is still rocking original internals. I know they are shattered, but it keeps on cooking.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It was time for an overhaul. I am sure you will enjoy your replacement parts.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    @DavidL Smokeware is going to be releasing a new dome thermometer.  I would suggest waiting till it is officially released.  You will not be sorry.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    pssst...a little secret...that "new" firebox with the cut kerf...it just might make the 2nd break cleaner just like mine! LOL

And then about that roll of adhesive backed gasket...how long have you had that and where has it been stored? Not that I know much about gaskets but you might want to consider an alternative which will last you for years.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @RRP gaskets that last years on high heat cooks?  Good luck with that ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Thanks for the info! I'll definitely wait to check out the Smokeware therm.  
  • DavidL
    Options
    @RRP I've had the gasket for a good while. It's been in a kitchen cabinet where I store all of my grilling stuff. Are you referring to the nomex gaskets?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @DavidL I forgot to ask what is wrong with your thermometer?  If it is out of Calibration you can adjust it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DavidL said:
    @RRP I've had the gasket for a good while. It's been in a kitchen cabinet where I store all of my grilling stuff. Are you referring to the nomex gaskets?
    No - but 'nuffa said...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    There's a chap on this forum who supplies whats known as Rutland gasket, I have it for my three eggs , I recommend it. Theres plenty of images of it installed on this site. Talk to RRP, he can point you in the right direction  :)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Aussie said:
    ... Talk to RRP, he can point you in the right direction  :)
    Or, have you going in circles ... pun intended!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DavidL
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I've cleaned it and tried to calibrate it using the boiling water method, but it just doesn't seem like it is reading like it used to. My wide open temps don't seem to reach quite as high on the therm as they used to. I don't know; maybe it's in my head. I assume they wear-out over time and it's about 7 yrs old. Maybe not?  I sure wouldn't mind having one with a larger dial/display to make it easier on my tired, old eyes.
  • DavidL
    Options

Aussie said:
    There's a chap on this forum who supplies whats known as Rutland gasket, I have it for my three eggs , I recommend it. Theres plenty of images of it installed on this site. Talk to RRP, he can point you in the right direction  :)
    Thanks, Aussie!  Yeah, I do remember hearing of the Rutland gaskets before. Been away from the forum too long.  I must keep up.