Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Help me make better wings

Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am able to make great tasting wings but cannot seem to get them to look great too. They always end up sticking to the cooking surface. I have been using frozen wings (from costco). I coat them in EVOO and then with swamp venom. Have tried direct and indirect (around 300 to 350). I recently tried indirect on foil with the same result. They always seem to stick too much to the cooking surface. When I try to turn or remove them they get torn up. Do I need to turn more frequently.[p]JNK

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    JNK,
    I am not an expert on wings but have learned a few things. I preheat the egg to 300-350 and set up direct with a raised grid. I take frozen wings and run under water to knock off the ice, then coat with my favorite rub, then place on a raised grid. I turn the grid 90 degrees every 10-15 minutes and flip the wings after about 40 minutes. I have not had a problem with sticking using this method.[p]Banker John

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Banker John,
    nice tips.
    do you oil / spray the grid before you start?
    I find that an oil on the grid helps as well.
    HolySmokes

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    JNK,
    I noticed my wings will stick sometimes although it's not a problem. I spray pam on the grid just before putting on the wings, I think it helps, but when I find a wing glued down I dont lift, I slide it in the same direction of the grid rods to gently break it free then lift to turn. I also turn often -this might be your best way to prevent the skin from sticking.
    I hope this helps, good luck!
    Clay

• JNK,
    i use the wing racks from cabelas. i made wings last night that were so easy. 2 racks went on direct on a raised grid at 280º for about an hour and a half. they were started by dusteing with rub and cornstarch and then drenched with buffalo sauce in the last ten minutes. they came off clean and were crunchy and spicy. very little stuck to the wing rack.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    HolySmokes,
    Spray the grid?... I've never thought of doing that. I bet it would work well and even facilitate in clean up of the grate. Good idea![p]Banker John

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    JNK, I second the Cabelas racks. Each rack holds 14 wings and you don't have to turn the wings. You get three racks for less than $15.00 and all will fit in the large egg. Jim.