Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Propane Torch

I purchased a LBGE over the weekend and am looking to use the 1lb propane cylinders to light my natural lump, anyone have recommendations for a good torch to use?
Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I use the Mapp Gas torch. It's similar but more powerful.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    +1 for Mapp gas.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    +1 on the map torch. Pushbutton lighting, very hot, lots of other uses. With that said, I also often light using the weber chimney.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Looks like it takes something a bit bigger that can put out a lot more fire.  I just use a Weber Chimney, full for high temp cook then dump and fill firebox or 1/2 if doing L/S (dump in the middle and fill firebox on top of that mixed with smoking chunks/chips).  High temp cooks typically ready in < 10 minutes. 
  • k1200ltc
    k1200ltc Posts: 18
    I really like my Burnz-O-Matic TS4000. Can be used with either Mapp or propane fuel.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    i for one stopped using the mapp torch. too many sparks for me. Back to the chimney
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

Any standard propane torch fitting will fit a MAPP gas canister.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like the TS8000. The variable regulator isn't needed, but I like the fact I can adjust the flame depending on what I'm using it for.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I keep recommending "the golf club". It's offered by BBQ Guru. The same guys who bring you the digiQ and cyberQ. It has very similar results to the larger weed burners, but a bit less aggressive, making it safer and less intimidating to use. Not real cheap, but a real winner in my book. I'm hooked. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    I like the Harbor freight weed eater.  It connects to a 20 lb propane tank and the price is reasonable.  I can see where it may not be the best choice for everyone.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    The digiQ "golf club" appears to be no longer available. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Weed torch from Harbor Freight and attach to a grill propane bottle.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    DMW said:
    I like the TS8000. The variable regulator isn't needed, but I like the fact I can adjust the flame depending on what I'm using it for.
    I also use the TS8000, and I really like being able to adjust the flame. Adjusting the flame helps reduce the sparking. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mapp burns hotter than propane but some propane torches have a bigger nozzle with a bigger fire that will light quicker. but some propane torches dont stay lit when inverted and ive had a couple of mapp torches catch fire. hard to beat the harbor freight weedburner for lighting a fire quickly and for the price
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Already had two MAPP torches so it was the logical choice for me. One of them is solely dedicated to the eggs now. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome - I use an electric most times, but have used gas. Whatever suits your need is probably just fine, as @fishlessman said some gases are hotter than others. The way it was explained to me the heat increases as you move from propane to butane to MAP. For starting an egg, I think the difference is moot, you can measure it in seconds, not minutes. Volume of gas used has a much larger effect on time to get started than the type of gas for most of us. Map will often be in a smaller hand held unit while a HF weed burner will light an egg in no time.  Depending on the lump, you can also shower everything with sparks using a high volume torch. 
    If you have a small torch that works inverted, go for it. If you are buying a MAP, the 4000 and 8000 are popular, with the 8000 a bit more flexible for other uses. Remember you only need to start one or two places at most, I suggest on the top near the front. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I like the Bernzomatic Lawn & Garden Torch. Uses the small bottles. Longer handle helps keep your hand away from the sparks. I actually use it to burn some weeds as well as light the egg!

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    ^^^^^^^^ +1
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Harbor freight weed burner almost like magic wand, 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    I like the Bernzomatic Lawn & Garden Torch. Uses the small bottles. Longer handle helps keep your hand away from the sparks. I actually use it to burn some weeds as well as light the egg!

This is what I use and love it.