Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiling Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see a lot of different methods of the 3-1-1 or the 3-2-1 rib methods on this forum and many of them get away from the original method which was posted on the BBQ Forum on 2/13/2001. Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Ranger) was the fellow that made this method very popular and is still used by many competition cooks as well as backyard cooks. I will cut and paste his post.[p]Re: Tinfoil!!! (2/13/2001 12:15:03 AM by Texas Rib Rangers)[p]I've been cooking in compentions for 24 years and started using foil back then and still do.Jumpin Jim passed along one of his secrets so here comes mine. Smoke your ribs for 2-3 hours then wrap with foil. Before you put the ribs in the foil put some Brown Sugar & Honey on the foil put meat side down,then put some on the ribs then close the foil. Before closing completely put some Apple juice (about 2-3 oz.) and put back on cooker.After about an hour check Ribs if done pull them. About 30 min. before turn-in mix juice off rib with Texas Rib Rangers Spicy sauce and baste Ribs on grill to glaze them. Mix about 3 parts sauce to 1 part juice. Now you know the Rib Rangers story. Good Luck and Happy Q'n Bill[p]To add to his post as I have used his method since he put it up, it is very important to be sure to put the meat side down in the foil. This time in the foil, the ribs are braising during this period and for this to work, you can't exceed the amount of juice in the foil from his recipe or it won't work. If you place more juice in the foil, it won't get to a boil and that is really what you want. Another tip--Ribs are very thin and really cool down quickly when they are out of the cooker for any step in your process. I find that it is best to have my foil boat with all the ingredients in place ready on my table beside the cooker so I can quickly take a slab off the cooker, wrap, and get it back on the cooker. Again, it must get to a boil for it to work and if your ribs cool down too much, it may take much longer or just flat won't work in the time frame of your foil period.[p]Anyway, that's the way I see it and hope it helps someone. [p]Dave

Comments

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Old Dave,
    "Again, it must get to a boil for it to work and if your ribs cool down too much, it may take much longer or just flat won't work in the time frame of your foil period."[p]This is EXACTLY why mine has been taking longer than they should! Too much cool down and too much cold apple juice from the fridge![p]THANKS!

• Old Dave, the first step (2-3 hours) is not very precise, while the last steps are very precise. I assume the initial cooking time varies depending on how much meat is on the rigs. Can't think of any other reason, can you?

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]I've been foiling a dozen different ways, seems like a different way each time I cook ribs. Can't say I've ever had bad ribs (like never a bad day fishin'), but they certainly have been inconsistent.[p]I really appriciate your posting this and adding comments from your experience. I will look forward to much better and more consistent ribs using this method.[p]Surprising how much there continues to be to learn by reading this Forum![p]Many thanks![p]DD
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Reading between the lines adds support to: 1. Putting the ribs meat down in the foil, so they are in contact with as much liquid as possible and, 2. Wrapping each rack in individual pouches will work better than trying to put several into a foil covered aluminum roasting pan for the above reason.[p]That is an excellent post. Ya know, we sometimes get distracted with so much new information, modified methods, unusual ingredients or toys that we can overlook the basics.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Old Dave,Why not put the meat side up,it seems like a great idea so that the meat does not burn on the foil. I have a problm a couple of times when there was not enough juice in the foil, the meat stuck to the foil and messed up a rake.
    1/2 cup of juice meat side up and leave the foil losewith one end open to put more juice in. This may add 30 to 60 min. to cook time, but at least you do not have to hover over the grill during this portion of the cook.
    Does this make sence or am I messing up agin?
    DrChuckie

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    DrChuckie,
    Hi from Peoria!!! Say, when I foil I'm still cooking indirect at that point so burning isn't a problem. I egged some pretty bodacious baby backs Sunday. Ron

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DrChuckie,[p]Putting the bone side down would only braise the ends of the bones. As for burning in the foil, I sure don't know why this happened. Even without much liquid, the meat shouldn't have stuck to the foil unless it was in there a long time. It really doesn't take much juice and I would think a half cup would be too much unless you are cooking those bronto spares. I also see no reason to have to add more juice but if that works for you, do it. I can see why it would add more time to the cook as I am not sure it is braising. And you do have to watch the ribs very close during the braise as it is very easy to overcook them. I very seldom have my ribs in the foil over about 45 minutes but then again, mine do boil. Another thing, you want to get the ribs "completely" done during the foil period. For me, that is about 192-194 internal measured in the center of the ribs with a Thermapen. At this point, the larger end will be about 3-4 degrees cooler and the small end may be 3-4 degrees hotter. It also doesn't hurt to let the ribs cool a little before they go back on the cooker for the glaze because they are done. I like to apply the first coat and then let it go to where it is slightly sticky and then do another coat and again take them to where they are slightly sticky. I still watch them pretty close as I don't want them to get over about 192 internal during this glaze period. I probably have them on the cooker about an hour for the glaze. [p]Dave

• Chuck/Tx,[p]It is difficult to try to cook any bbq with precise times as there are too many variables. And you are right in that there are many sizes and types of ribs. A small rack might weigh 1-3/4lb per slab, and a large rack can sometimes go above 6 lbs. per slab. Cooking temp also plays a big part as well as method and setup. What might work for me may not work for you. But hey, all ribs off the Egg are good!![p]Dave

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Old Dave,
    thanks for all this good info. . . and lord know you've probably thrown out more ribs than i've ever cooked ...but i've been doing the 3/2/1 deal for a while now with very good results. . .but i have to admit, i've been putting the rack in the foil meat side up as well....i figure that with the tight foil wrap, the apple juice is 'steaming' the meat more than 'braising' it. . .2 hours in the foil and they pass the toothpick test just right. . .i'm thinking the bones side down is providing some protection from having the meat get over-cooked. . .[p]sounds like a good excuse to buy two racks and do a side by side comparrison, one rack meat up, the other, meat down :)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    if you put the ribs in meatside down for 2 hours you will have a problem trying to get the rack out of the tinfoil for the final stage, the rack just falls apart and is very difficult to move. tastes good, but awefully sloppy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Old Dave,[p]One of the main reasons for the 2-3 hours, is this is a competition recipe. What we are looking for as comp cooks at that stage is color. If you don't have the right color, you shouldn't be wrapping. If they have reached the desired color in 2 hours, then they should be wrapped. [p]Scottie[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    that's my thought exactly. ...i've had great consistent results meat side up. . .when they come out of the foil after two hours, they will pass the toothpick test, but not fall apart...they can still handle a good 30 minutes back on the grid getting sauced and have just the right 'pull' off the bone when eaten. ...i'll probably still try it dave's way as well just to see. . .the guy's been cooking for ever and does know his stuff...

• Scottie,[p]Couldn't agree with you more but these Egger teams don't need to know all the tips. Hell, I can't beat them now!![p]Dave

• Old Dave,[p]Me either... ;-)
  • The Virginian
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Gotta be with Old Dave on this one, brother. When the ribs goes in meat side down on top of the honey and brown sugar, then the apple juice on the sides, it forms a very nice glaze, a sweet shell almost, on the meat. That is why our turnins at competition always look so pretty! Meat side up, I doubt you could get a nice glaze like that on the meat. [p]Brett

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Virginian,
    gee, the last ones that you saw i did that you said looked so good, i did meat side up. . .i put a good coat of brown sugar and honey on top of the meat along with a good drizzle of apple juice. . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]How did they taste though? That's the reason to be doing the technique that way... The rib meat is sitting in that sugar, honey mixture for all of that time. Imparting flavors...
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo Dave! LOL. Well, maybe it'll be different next time, but in our last matchup you put a big hurtin on a bunch of folks, including us eggers! [p]BTW, thanks for the good info. Same to you Scottie!
    Cheers fellas
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Anyway I can help out... ;-)

• YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Wow. I hope the people I compete against don't read this post. You trying to make it tougher on a dumb ole Yankee ?[p]Steve
  • YankeeBBQ,[p]1st place ribs Jack Daniels 2005--you sure don't need any help!! You should be giving us tips. No codes.[p]Dave

• YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Add a little butter and you've pretty much described exactly how I did my spare ribs at the Jack.