Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my question about eggs on hamburgers raises another question!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Hey, gang, I'm dead serious - I have been amazed at the number of responses by all of you eggers who love and regularly top your burgers with eggs. I had no idea that is such a popular condiment!  OK - maybe I have lived much of my life under a rock, but I wonder what other foods or ways to cook foods or combinations are out there that are "common" and you just assume all the rest of the world does the same! SEE...my eyes were opened about the egg topping and now I wonder what else I have been missing!

In that egg thread there were a couple comments about adding peanut butter and another about figs. It didn't look like those responses caused any pile ons like the egg question did. Care to stick your neck out and say - "hey, BTW doesn't EVERYBODY use this or that or whatever?"
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I'm going to try the PB soon. Let you know how it works.  I have mixed in Mexican chorizo with my ground beef and the burgers came out awesome!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Not necessarily egg related, but grape jelly and /or maple syrup on a pile of biscuits, egg, bacon/sausage and sawmill gravy. The wife thinks I'm weird, but she doesn't mix foods cause she's a freak. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    My family doesn't use butter on their corn on the cob. We use Best Foods Mayonnaise . I remember being at summer camp one year. It was dinner time, they're re serving corn on the cob. I remember the kids standing in line and a guy with a bucket was brushing butter on the cob. When I got to the front I asked 'hey, where's the mayonnaise?' Everyone looked at me and laughed. I kinda played it off. In reality I thought everyone used mayonnaise. To this day, butter on corn on the cob just doesn't sound right. In fact, I find it disgusting.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Not necessarily egg related, but grape jelly and /or maple syrup on a pile of biscuits, egg, bacon/sausage and sawmill gravy. The wife thinks I'm weird, but she doesn't mix foods cause she's a freak. 
    I'm sure she thinks the same of you. We're in the same boat, though. I basically dump everything savory into a bowl of grits and go to town.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I almost always put jelly on my omelettes.

For oatmeal, I puree a banana and mix it in along with chopped walnuts.  No sugar needed if the nana is ripe.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'm sure she thinks the same of you. We're in the same boat, though. I basically dump everything savory into a bowl of grits and go to town.
    I tried grits once, never ever again.

Eat them all you want, it just isn't ever gonna be in my eating repertoire.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ok im going to step out on a limb. I put smoked oysters and sardines on my pizza with green olives and feta. I like poached eggs runny yolk on a good mesculin salad. I eat hot biscuits with molasses. I prefer raw clams over raw oysters. A grilled cheese sandwich with gouda camembert and steamed broccoli on sourdough is killer. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Zmokin
    RRP said:
     Care to stick your neck out and say - "hey, BTW doesn't EVERYBODY use this or that or whatever?"
    Don't know if I have a direct answer to your question, but:

I had a manager once that always put ketchup on his potato salad.

I like squid jerky, it's a common Korean snack.  Picked it up from being stationed in Korea.  I also like most Korean foods, where as some people can never past the smell of kimchee.

The only way I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is open faced, on toast, and the jelly has to be orange marmalade.  The melted peanut butter and orange marmalade is to die for IMO.

I prefer to make my Top Ramen, not as a soup, but as a stir-fry noodle.
    Cook the noodles in water as directed, while noodles are cooking, melt butter in a frying pan with about 1/2 of the flavor packet dumped in.  when noodles are done, drain, then stir-fry in the flavored butter.  It's very yummy.

And I love raw beef.  When slicing a London Broil to make jerky with, not all of the slices of London Broil end up in the marinade.

I guess what I'm getting at, is these are things I do, but I have no pre-conceived notion that these are things that "everybody does".

Oh, a few more, when I was kid and would get hired as a babysitter, and would be told "Sorry, we don't have any food for you to snack on", my thoughts always were, "you have no idea".  I didn't care if there was no potato chips, or peanuts, or popcorn.  I always could find some raw spaghetti noodles, box of brown sugar, box of Cheerios, or some other delectable staple in the cabinets.

• There is a place in town that does a cheese steak and egg sandwich. I wasn't sure about it at first, then I tried it. OMG that is a good sandwich!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dill in mac n cheese is magical.  I like to eat raw stuff, almost like a someone with pica loves laundry starch.  Carpaccio, sushi, sashimi, tartar, runny eggs, f-yeah.  Also veggies.  Fish sauce is killer on all kinds of food.  Anchovies - yum.  I'm a sick puppy, but that's how I roll.  And I love stinky cheese.  Stinkier the better.  Raw cured meat, hellz yeah.  I need to move out to the Italian country side.

Ketchup on eggs...eggs on pizza... Honey on pizza.... Anchovies...esp the white ones.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Zmokin said:

All grits aren't created equal. You could have eaten some that sucked. As a Southerner, there are some nasty grits out there that I'd never eat again (Waffle House grits comes to mind). Cooking grits is akin to cooking a brisket. You've got to know what the heck you're doing. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Zmokin said:

I like squid jerky, it's a common Korean snack.  Picked it up from being stationed in Korea.  I also like most Korean foods, where as some people can never past the smell of kimchee.

Kimchee on grilled cheese sandwiches is fantastic.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Chili dog w/cheese, mustard , ketcup, onion and sweet pickle relish. Peanut butter and jelly w/bacon .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I like to mix up peanut butter and syrup and eat on white cracker or just to make a sandwich

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Never done this but I was watching DDD the other night and a chef added cooked brisket into his ground beef before making the patties. Interesting concept. Maybe I should do that with PB and egg  :)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Lays potato chips and peanut butter on white bread.

mini pretzels inside of a pb&j
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I'm a fairly recent convert to a fried egg on my burger. Like, within the last two years. My kids were horrified at first, but that's the only way they'll eat it now. 

Im a huge PB fan, but on my burger?  I haven't mustered the courage yet. Someday. 

This is thread about strange food combos is very interesting though!  A Nebraska tradition that I grew up with is to serve chili with cinnamon rolls, instead of the more traditional cornbread or tortillas.  I thought it was completely normal until I entered a chili cook off in San Antonio. I got laughed at, and placed dead last.  The sweet/savory combo is awesome. IN fact, our regional restaurant Runza, still serves chili that way.

I'd try kimchee and grilled cheese sandwiches.  And mayo on corn on the cob sounds awesome.  Yes, I put ketchup on scrambled eggs!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I love drizzling bbq sauce over my potato salad but don't mix together.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited April 2015
    Mexican street corn is incredible..mayo, chili powder, cheese and lime. 
  • cazzy said:
    I almost always put jelly on my omelettes.

For oatmeal, I puree a banana and mix it in along with chopped walnuts.  No sugar needed if the nana is ripe.
    Do the same with my oatmeal. Get a few" WTH are you doing" looks
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Cheeseburger with grilled onions, bacon, mayo and PB.
    Cheesesteak and egg sandwich with mayo.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Meat loaf on homemade cinnamon raisin bread. My aunt made it for me when I was little and is still my favorite. :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Orange marmalade with my scrambled eggs..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Grape jelly on a sausage biscuit.  Heard a couple of people order in line before and had to try it.   Can't imagine having one without it now.  Potatoe chips on a sandwich is also a keeper.  
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    First off an egg on a burger is great,  now son dips about everything in ketchup, broccoli or other veggies.  Now the wife likes to have things separate and doesn't put spaghetti sauce on spaghetti or Chinese food over rice she eats it all separate.  That's strange to me. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zmokin
    edited April 2015
    Zmokin said:

All grits aren't created equal. You could have eaten some that sucked. As a Southerner, there are some nasty grits out there that I'd never eat again (Waffle House grits comes to mind). Cooking grits is akin to cooking a brisket. You've got to know what the heck you're doing. 
    Well, the southern boys I was with at the time were scarfing them down, so they liked 'em.  To me, it seemed like bad oatmeal with sand mixed in.  Maybe they weren't the best, but if the texture was close to normal, it's not for me.

You know the saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  Some southern folk fooled me once into trying grits.  I prefer not to shame myself.

Another example.  I occasionally was forced to eat beef liver by my parents when growing up.  Later in life as an adult, someone lied to me and told me I should try chicken livers, that they are completely different.  So I tried them, effing liar, they had the exact same gross texture and tasted of internal body fluids, just like beef liver. Never, ever, again will I try liver.  Those who like foie gras, you can have it, I will never try ordering it.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Best thing @NOLA Jazzfest
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Will, this certainly fits into the "that sounds dumb" category ... in Japan, the "Chicago Pizzeria", put corn on their pizza ... it's really rather good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    All this chatter about grits surprises me. Every time I was out for breakfast when down South I used to always order grits. I don't ever remember getting any bad ones! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.