Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@caliking inspired Kathi Rolls

fljoemon
fljoemon Posts: 757
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Ever since I saw @caliking post his kathi rolls cook, I've been wanting to make it and then the cook at Salado Fest made me really determined to make it for the kids as they have never had these. I've eaten them in Kolkatta, India and seen the vendor make them, so it was a fairly easy cook ...

Grilled the tandoori marinated chicken thighs raised direct at 350°F.

Sauteed some red onions and red bell pepper

Getting the roll (Malayasian flat bead) ready with a fried egg on top

Assembling the kathi roll with the chicken and sauteed onions & red bell pepper

Sauces that was used to top the roll - homemade mango mustard sauce, store bought green chili chutney & hot & sweet sauce

Final assembled roll  ... this was soooo good .. took me back to the streets of India :-)

Got the family seal of approval .. will be making this again!
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Very nice!  Your cook brings back memory of our visit in India this February, still haven't gotten around to posting my photos yet  :)
    After one failed attempt at making Malaysian roti from scratch, SWMBO tried again last week and it came out real nice, served with meatball curry (no BGE involved though).
    canuckland
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Those look great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    :):):) Damn, that looks good!  Need tickets to India or your house B)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fljoemon
    @bgebrent .. if you every get a chance to visit India .. go for it. It will be an incredible journey and you will be in culinary heaven.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    You didn't mention your house as a rec for my trip to Orlando a couple weeks ago!  What gives?

that looks really good and I didn't see the first Indian street vendor while in town. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Awesome cook!  @caliking's rolls at Salado really were the best food I had all weekend.  Yours look just as good.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fljoemon
    @theyolksonyou .. I was on business travel out for the whole week when you were in Otown. Sorry bud .. next time you come down .. I'll make sure I stay put. Always welcome to come to my house :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Oustanding, sir! Those look fantastic. And extra credit for the kasundi... and wrapping in paper :)

When were you last in Kolkata? Where did you eat kathi rolls? I'm from Kolkata, and lived minutes from some of the best roll places in the city (read: world).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fljoemon
    @caliking .. I was there in 2013 for business .. I ate at Kusum rolls ... The person I was with told me that they were better than Nizams .. I was only there for 2 days in Kolkatta, so I did not get to try the rolls at Nizams. Next time if I go, I will visit both places.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks Amazing!  This recipe from caliking has been my top bookmark for some time now.  Finally got all the condiments, I just have to find some time to make them!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”