Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A hearty thanks, before I die with a smile:-) on my face!

Options
Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spin, Elder Ward, KennyG, Elizabeth, Teslamania and any others I might have skipped
A tip of the old hat, and many thanks to all of youse guys! The pulled pork was fantastic, the baked beans out of this world(finally found a recipe that's worth keeping and fixin'), the slaw excellent and the the BBQ sauce wasn't bad neither! Not nary a complaint, other than "Oh my I ate too much!" I slightly overcooked the butt, but nobody but me knew the diff. Even my own son said I out did myself! That is a compliment! The Pastor & his wife said if they ever get an invite from someone else the same time they get one from me, they'll cancel the other invite! I waited til everything was done before I told them they were my "guinea pigs" this time around. Everyone said they will sign up to be my permanent "guinea pigs". Really makes you feel good! Many thanks again for all the input and help! Spin, Elder Ward, like I said before, you guys kept my fat out of the fryer! Spin, I copied the new method/recipe you posted, and I'll give that a try next time. I thought my sourdough bread would be too much with everything, but 5 of us ate (2) loaves. It really fit good! Now I can zonk out with a smile and a very full belly. Oh my! I ate too much![p]Dr. Chicken

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I just wanted to bump the last thread on the site.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Did he die?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I know for fact some of the people he is referencing did.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow, all reverence to him!  Hopefully the big green egg in the sky.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Well, he at least survived for awhile after his over-indulgence mentioned above.  That post was Jan 2000, going to his profile, looks like his last post was Apr 2004.  Maybe RRP knows, I read one post where RRP at least knew him by his first name.  I don't know if he passed away, or just stopped posting on the forum, or maybe he's still here and now goes by a different handle.  Spring Chicken comes to mind.  I have no idea, I'm just speculating.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Hopefully he is still out there somewhere. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I hope you find that that sum-a-b*tch! This is no lie! My wife and I loaned Dave Spence aka Dr Chicken and his worthless wife $10,000 only to have those two white trash POS skip town and never repay a penny! Dave - if you read this - I hope you are preparing to rot in HELL you worthless b*stard!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Wow.  Did not see that coming.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Found this post from 2010:

http://thegrillinguys.com/dave-spence-famous-goat-recipe/

Dave Spence is marvelous individual. He lives 20 miles east of Enid, Oklahoma.  When I was down there 3 years ago, I became friends with him.  He works at the grain elevator and is famous for his smoked goat.  I asked him if I could share the recipe with you all and he agreed to.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hope you find that that sum-a-b*tch! This is no lie! My wife and I loaned Dave Spence aka Dr Chicken and his worthless wife $10,000 only to have those two white trash POS skip town and never repay a penny! Dave - if you read this - I hope you are preparing to rot in HELL you worthless b*stard!
    How do you really feel, hard to read between those lines......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And, he is dead.

http://www.enidnews.com/obituaries/david-a-spence/article_eb6c266a-4032-5420-8cce-f56f20682a48.html

Memorial service for David A. Spence, 65, of Covington, will be 11 a.m. Saturday, June 9, 2012, at First Baptist Church, Covington. Pastor Phillip Gregg officiating. Cremation arrangements by Russworm Funeral Home, Enid.

David was born July 19, 1946, in Covina, Calif., to Clarence and Addie Spence and died Monday, June 4, 2012, at his home.

He married Carolyn Day Oct. 4, 1968.

He served in the Air Force.

Surviving are wife, Carolyn of the home; two daughters; two brothers; one sister; and five grandchildren.

Preceded in death by his parents, one sister and a brother.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Man, Ozzie - you're like Magnum PI!  And fast!
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    And, he is dead.

http://www.enidnews.com/obituaries/david-a-spence/article_eb6c266a-4032-5420-8cce-f56f20682a48.html

Memorial service for David A. Spence, 65, of Covington, will be 11 a.m. Saturday, June 9, 2012, at First Baptist Church, Covington. Pastor Phillip Gregg officiating. Cremation arrangements by Russworm Funeral Home, Enid.

David was born July 19, 1946, in Covina, Calif., to Clarence and Addie Spence and died Monday, June 4, 2012, at his home.

He married Carolyn Day Oct. 4, 1968.

He served in the Air Force.

Surviving are wife, Carolyn of the home; two daughters; two brothers; one sister; and five grandchildren.

Preceded in death by his parents, one sister and a brother.

Thank you! I did not know that. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow!  I'm glad I dug up that thread from the trash heap of time.
    Wow!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @thetrim yeah way to go buddy. lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That took a strange turn. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac if only you lives in the islands, drove a borrowed Ferrari and had a killer stash....
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I have NEVER seen@RRP that way before so I'm guessing I'm probably better to have never known the man.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Yeah, I've loaned money before and got screwed. But not that much!
    It's hard to squeeze blood from a turnip when they have 4 kids, lazy wife, Pops can't hold a job & the welfare kicks in. Then a move to Northern California where the state assistance is best. I just blew it off and called it a lesson learned. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    ron, in my break room i have a pile of obits of guys like this hanging on the bullitin board, the guys here call it the hall of shame =) sometimes you can get even, sometimes they die before you get the chance =)

anyways, still the best ham recipe ive ever had, nothing comes close

Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham

Ham should be a fully cooked or partially cooked ½ shank variety or can be shoulder variety (water added can be used, as long as the water added does not exceed 23% water added product.) If it is pre-smoked with hickory, that seems to work out best. Patti/Jean or Cooks among the best, but other varieties can be used!

Update: Use a full shank ham if you want. They work wonderful and they leave less good eatin' areas exposed to the heat to dry out. I've cooked up to a 26 lbs full shank ham. Absolutely one of the best too! An uncooked ham works well too. That way you don't have to limit yourself when choosing a ham.

Glazing Sauce:

½ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
    ¼ cup honey
    2 Tbsp cider vinegar
    1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
    1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
    2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.

Cooking instructions for the oven:

Score outer skin of ham to a depth of ½ inch in a crisscross diamond pattern. This will allow the glazing sauce to penetrate below the skin, into the actual ham. Place ham (un-glazed) into a shallow roasting pan or roasting rack. If pineapple and cherries are desired on the outside, add them when you start the glazing process. Cook in oven @ 275° - 300° with a loose tent of aluminum foil over the top for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. Baste with glazing sauce the last hour of cooking time and continue to cook until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140°. Remove from oven and allow to sit covered for 20 to 30 minutes before carving!

Cooking instructions for ceramic cooker cooking:

This can be done on a grill over indirect heat or in a water smoker or other type of cooker, again over indirect heat or “low & slow” type cooking. Do not tent over ham if done on grill, water smoker or other cooker; this would prevent smoke from penetrating the ham.

Place water soaked chunks of mesquite, hickory or pecan (we prefer the smoke of pecan over all the others) on coals 5 minutes before putting ham on cooker. This will allow the ham to obtain maximum smoke flavor during the second cook cycle. ( the first cook cycle is the cycle the processor uses.) If even more smoke flavor is desired, place ham in freezer for 1 to 1 ½ hours prior to cooking to allow outer edges of ham to start to freeze. Go easy on this procedure; you don’t want the ham frozen hard!

If using a water smoker, fill water pan ¾ full with hot water and add 2 cups of orange, pineapple, or orange/pineapple mix, sweetened grapefruit or apple juice to the water. (all of them act as tenderizer as the steam penetrates the meat.) (I use a ¾ full drip pan when cooking on the Eggs, filled with a 50:50 mix of water and orange juice.)

Again, cook for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. until internal temp on the ham shows 140°. A couple of books suggest 145° and 160° respectively. Shirley O. Corriher in her book “CookWise” suggests 140°. We found this to be exactly right. After removing from the Egg, it will climb up to 145° internally. The ham will retain it moistness and the flavor will go thru out the ham this way.

Update: Pull the ham from the cooker at 135° internal. Even if it is an "uncooked" ham. Jim Minion and I have been playing around on this issue. Both of us feel 135° internal is enough to carry the ham up to 145° internal while you let it rest wrapped in foil for an hour or so. I wrap the ham in a double wrap of heavy duty foil. That seals the juices inside (relatively speaking!) and keeps the ham from starting to dry out during the resting period. The 135° internal tempperature suggestion is right in line with Shirley O. Corriher and her book "CookWise". This is one gal that has her act together! It is a great reference book for a lot of things. Start your cooking process at 225° on the dome thermometer of your ceramic cooker. Then let it gradually creep up to 250° to 260°. The 275° suggested temp. is a mit too high, in my opinion and after cooking 50 to 60 of these over the last 3 or 4 years.

Baste ham with glazing sauce every 10 to 15 minutes during the last hour of cooking time. Glazing compound will burn, so do not start glazing the ham until the internal temp of the ham reaches 120°.

NOTE: The secret to this process is plenty of smoke and the real maple syrup and granular coffee crystals in the glazing sauce. Use a cheaper cut of ham like mentioned before, and people will think you bought an expensive ham that you had to “hock” your kids for! Yuk! Yuk! (see my pun there?) The glazing sauce will give the ham a fantastic taste, smell and color!

Update: Use the "Dr. Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death" injectable marinade recipe to take the ham up 3 or 4 notches. I can't emphasize enough how much the injectable marinade adds to the finished product. You and your family will be in 7th heaven woofing it down. I'm including it in this e-mail.

If you start glazing the ham at 120° internal, you'll only have to apply the glaze twice. Do this 30 minutes apart. That way you won't lose a lot of cooking time trying to apply it every 15 minutes. 2 applications of the glaze will do a wonderful job if you make sure you get it into the cut areas.

NOTE: Don't use a spiral cut ham the first time out. They tend to dry out too easily! If you are forced to use one, use 1 & 1/2 X the "Sweet Kiss of Death" injectable marinade I suggest. That will prevent it from drying out during the cooking process. Also, be sure you keep your cooker down to that 260° as a maximum on the dome.

Someone on another forum suggested removing all the skin before cooking. DON'T!!!!! That's the easiest way to ruin the ham by drying it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Chicken’s Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade

First off, let me give a little background into the idea behind this injectable marinade and the reasoning behind it.

Years ago, my Grandma and my Mom both cooked such delightfully good hams at Christmas time, it would make your head swim in delight. The aroma would make our house smell good for days!

Tender, sweet, moist (most of the time) and just plain scrumptious, it was a memory like all of us have. I always wanted to duplicate the recipe. But, by the time I got around to asking my Mom about it, she was nearly bed ridden and had trouble remembering yesterday much less 40 to 50 years ago. Mom passed away 2 years ago last Valentines Day in 2000. But, I’ve continued to search and work at that memorable cooked ham.

Five years ago, I took a challenge from my oldest brother to duplicate that recipe in an outdoor cooker. He said, “It can’t be done!” Any of you that have tried my “Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham” recipe knows that remark was not true then and is not true now!

But, in all honesty, even the double smoked ham recipe left something to be desired. Sometimes it left the ham tasting great, but a little too dry. I believe it was Earl or Sprinter or GFW from the BGE user’s forum that suggested I use an injectable marinade in the ham, such as Cajun Injector’s or Tony Chachere’s Honey-Pecan-Praline marinades. Believe me, they both did a great job, but neither of them added the “punch” like I wanted. So, I have kept on trying.

Well folks, I think I have come up with what I wanted. Either recipe is a winner, but using them both on the same ham will result in by far the most fantastic tasting ham you will ever try.

Please give both recipes a try! You will love the results! I hope too, it will become a “family tradition” like my Mom’s and my Grandma’s was in our family.

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water)

1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)

1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)

2 Tbs of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find) Note: I ran out of this twice in the past few months so I substituted "Blackburn's Butter Pecan" pancake syrup. Not a bad substitution. Double the amount shown here as Butter Pecan extract.

1 Tbs of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought)

1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concen. used in the glaze or basting sauce)(cut this in half or use 1 Tbsp of orange juice concentrate....otherwise it may overpower the entire recipe.)

1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:

Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup.

Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

Directions for use:

Wrap ham in 2 layers of plastic wrap before starting the injection process.

Using a marinade hypodermic syringe, inject at least 2 fluid ozs. Per pound of meat in a grid pattern through out the entire ham and don’t be afraid to use up to 3 ounces per pound of meat.

Continue to inject the marinade into the ham until the entire amount of marinade is injected evenly into the ham.

Cook the ham as shown in the “Double Smoked Ham” recipe. Be sure to you your favorite wood for smoke flavoring.

Do not cook the ham beyond 140° internal to prevent over cooking and drying out the ham.

Enjoy!!! El Chefo Dave (aka: Dr. Chicken)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @RRP There has got to be a story there that I would like to hear. I am taking it that you were friends with the guy and after he borrowed the money he skipped town on you? 

I have also had that happen before. Not good. 

• badinfluence
    Options
    That is why i don't "lend" money. I will help anyone that I can but money just seems like a gift as I already know they won't give it back.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Hey @RRP I'm running a little short this month how b out a loan buddy?.

Sorry I had to go there. lol

Clinton, Iowa
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is why i don't "lend" money. I will help anyone that I can but money just seems like a gift as I already know they won't give it back.
    I still do. I helped a "buddy" out and loaned him $2,500 two years ago. He was going to pay it back in at the most 12 months. I haven't gotten it back yet. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    rescently i loaned 40 bucks to a scumbucket i dont want around, havent seen him since, money well spent =) worse was a lifelong friend stealing 140k, all it took was an accountant, lawyers, cops, and the irs to get it back, the truth though is she would have walked if the bluff wasnt pushed hard enough. accountants, lawyers, cops, and the irs dont have your back. hopefully she someday makes the hall of shame on my bulletin board =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    Wow, didn't expect that.  Might I hazard a guess this happened around April 2004?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    RRP said:
    Wow, didn't expect that.  Might I hazard a guess this happened around April 2004?
    Right month - wrong year - it was April 29th 2002
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Im glad I paid for my gasket in a timely manner.