Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting mod for old BBQ Guru "Competitor" controllers

I've used my Competitor with great results for years. But I've always wished that I could reverse the roles of the two temperature probes. The meat probe would become the pit probe, and I could simply poke it through the thermometer hole in the lid of my BGE. 

So this weekend I got out my soldering pencil and my multimeter and built myself an adapter cord. I plug the standard probe set into my adapter, and the adapter plugs into the Competitor where the probes normally go. 

I works great! I power up the Competitor with the meat probe temperature dial set OFF, so the ramp function won't be enabled, and just use the meat probe and pit temperature dial to control the pit temperature, with a perfect seal for the lid and no worries about melting the probe wires with too much heat. 

Respond here if you'd like details. Building one takes some fairly delicate wiring and soldering, and some parts and equipment that most people probably don't have lying around. If LOTS of people were anxious to buy one of these for, say, $20, I'd look into getting them built commercially. 

Comments

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    So I assume the temp probe doesn't fit in the thermometer hole?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Hmm, my pit probe is the same diameter as my meat probe and they both use the same jack type.  I'm assuming your ole "competitor" style is different.

Got pictures?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Are your wires the old tiny Teflon coated ones? I bought replacements (which I have yet to ever use!) and those are the finely mesh cloaked ones.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My pit probe has an alligator clip attached to it, and even if this was removable (I'm not sure), the probe is probably too big to fit in the thermometer hole (and it's quite short) . The meat probe fits perfectly and is long enough to project well into the cooking space. And yes my wires are the tiny Teflon-coated ones. Didn't know there was any other kind. 
    I've tested the unit's calibration and it performs identically with or without my adapter (except for the probes being swapped, of course). 
  • RRP
    They discontinued the Teflon coated and went with these more durable steel cabled ones. Thanks - your thread made me go find these new, but never used replacements! LOL

• Zmokin
    Rob Lewis said:
    My pit probe has an alligator clip attached to it, and even if this was removable (I'm not sure), the probe is probably too big to fit in the thermometer hole (and it's quite short) . 
    My alligator clip fell off and I am quite bummed that I lost it.  I'm pretty sure it got thrown away with a pile of ash before I realized it was no longer on my pit probe.

• RRP
    Zmokin said:
    Rob Lewis said:
    My pit probe has an alligator clip attached to it, and even if this was removable (I'm not sure), the probe is probably too big to fit in the thermometer hole (and it's quite short) . 
    My alligator clip fell off and I am quite bummed that I lost it.  I'm pretty sure it got thrown away with a pile of ash before I realized it was no longer on my pit probe.
    Those style alligator clips are fairly common. Radio Shack used to carry them in bags of 3 to 12 for pennies per clip. I know RS is now belly up, but I bet they still can be found at electronic hobbyist shops. I used to use them for quick connections, but have none to give you now.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    You can still order from RS online. I just received some resistors and diodes that I ordered last week. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Zmokin
    bo_mull said:
    You can still order from RS online. I just received some resistors and diodes that I ordered last week. 
    Thanks

• RRP
    edited April 2015
    bo_mull said:
    I didn't know that either! BTW here's the link to the alligator clips they sell now. You will have to make a simple bending modification. OTOH I bet S&H is going to be a killer!
    http://www.radioshack.com/search?q=Alligator+clips
  • Zmokin
    I found a pair on amazon for $2.  they are in my cart, but now I need another $33 of stuff to get free shipping.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @Zmokin ... call around ... not all Radio Shack stores are closed.  The two closest to me closed, but the next two are still open.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Zmokin
    edited April 2015
    Thanks, but I'm not driving around wasting gallons of gas for a 99 cent alligator clip.
    I can wait until I find enough other stuff to buy from Amazon to get my free shipping.

• RRP
    Zmokin said:
    Thanks, but I'm not driving around wasting gallons of gas for a 99 cent alligator clip.
    I can wait until I find enough other stuff to buy from Amazon to get my free shipping.
    I hear you. Do you still have one of those clips which are on the inside of the dome on the thermometer?  With a drill and some imagination I bet you can solve the problem! 
  • Zmokin
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    I hear you. Do you still have one of those clips which are on the inside of the dome on the thermometer?  With a drill and some imagination I bet you can solve the problem! 
    Yes, I do.  That is what I normally clip the alligator clip to.  But you're right, with my drill press, i could see about making a modification for less than 99 cents.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    @Zmokin  I will look and see if I still have the alligator clips off my probes if i do I will send them to you for free as I don't use them. I will check in a little bit.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin said:
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    Yes, I do.  That is what I normally clip the alligator clip to.  But you're right, with my drill press, i could see about making a modification for less than 99 cents.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    Hi Ron, today I finally pulled my clip off the dome thermometer and drilled two holes in it.  It now can hold my Digi-Q pit temp probe as well as holding the dome gauge in place, not that the dome gauge was going to go anywhere under it's own power, but per your suggestion, at no cost to me, I solved my problem caused by losing my alligator clip.

THANKS!!!