Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it really done

Options
Capt. Dan
Capt. Dan Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put a 10 1/2 pound shoulder on my large egg last night at about 7:30 p.m. This is the 2nd cook I have done with a BBQ Guru. Set my meat temp at 190 and my pit or grid temp at about 235. Less than 12 hours later, I wake up and walk outside and hear the alarm on the Guru going off. Guru says meat temp is 190ish and grid temp is about 225. I figure the meat probe is off so I check it with a meat thermo. and it says 190. The shoulders temp is 190 but it does not look done. It has shrunk very little and I pulled back a bit of skin and clear juices flowed. So... WHATS UP!!! This thing temp wise is done, but I do not think it has cooked long enough. It should have cooked another 8 hours or so. I think if I took it off and pulled it, it would be very moist or even wet, the fat looks like it has not really broke down yet. But it is tender. Should I pull it or let it continue to cook. Thanks for your replies and input.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Capt. Dan,
    190 might be 'done', but 195, 200 is usually where i i find mine are falling all over themselves, fallin'apart

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Capt. Dan,[p]Lot of different opinions on this one, I'm sure. I cook my butts to a minimum of 195 and usually let them go to 205. For me, time does not matter. Internal temp is the thing to watch to determine doneness. Even at 205 I have had some butts with small pockets of solid fat still left in them. All depends on the make-up of the individual butt.[p]I usually cook at a grid temp of between 225 and 250. But have even cooked at 275 with good results.[p]Personally, I think 190 internal is a tad too low. But that's just me.[p]Sounds like good eats at your house today!

• Capt. Dan
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    I agree, I set the meat temp at 190 and can watch it after that. But it sure did get there quicker than I am used to.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Capt. Dan,[p]190 is a good target to begin watching for the removal. Once mine have got to that point, it usually does not take much to push them over the top.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Capt. Dan,[p]Sometimes big hunks of meat will cook faster than expected. If the meat is at 190 it might be ready to pull off. Check by stabbing with a fork and if the meat wants to seperate with little or no resistance, it's done.
    If so, pull off, wrap in foil and put in an insulated cooler for a few hours. It will continue to cook in the cooler where something magical happens.
    Is it a full shoulder or a picnic?[p]John

• WooDoggies,
    It is a picnic shoulder. I set the pit temp on the Guru at 200. Just wanting to slow it down a bit. I will say this. If I pulled it now it would be very moist. Dripping!!!

• WooDoggies
    Options
    captdans,[p]Dude, very moist and dripping is good![p]Let us know how it turns out.[p]John[p]

• Capt. Dan
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Dude, I like very moist also, but personally I am not sure about dripping. She's about 195 now and has shrunk a bit. I am getting ready to pull her and I bet its great!! I think the egg fairy snuck by here and turned my Guru up to about 300-350 or something. I still can't figure out why this thing got to 190 so fast.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Capt. Dan,[p]I think Nature Boy coined the term "turbo butts" for fast cooks like your's.... sometimes large cuts cruise through the plateau for no other reason than just because.
    It may be a way of the bbq gods reminding us that we don't have complete control over the whole bbq process.[p]I'm sure your pork will turn out great.... the flavor of picnics are wonderful.[p]John