Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Tables

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone built there own Egg table or cart? What are your opinions on the models available from BGE dealers?

Comments

• Greg Nicholas,
    I started with the BGE basic plan and built my own out of pressure treated lumber. The total price was less than the tables from my dealer.
    Fireball

• Greg Nicholas,Build your own.The tables sold at my dealer suck.You can build it out of treated pine and use heavier grade in about 2 hours.I just used the BGE plans and modified to my needs.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Greg Nicholas, look at gfw's third link. I have included everything you need to build a table including what to buy and how to cut from the stock pieces. All told, if you have a drill (for pilot holes) and a electric screwdriver, you can assemble the entire table in less than two hours after the wood has been cut. Of course if you want to stain it, that will take longer but I will give you a big hint. Stain after cutting the wood but before assembling it. Otherwise, you'll never get it stained. Total cost is about half of what the dealers charge for a table. Spend the remainder on babybacks (and follow gfw's recipe) and you'll never regret it. Good luck.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />Greg Nicholas,
    Build your own

• Greg Nicholas,
    pressure treated lumber requires three monthes to cure before staining. Otherwise the stain will not take and it will be a real mess. Good luck with the project. I built my table from plans given to me by a local dealer, and we adapted it to our taste. Egg on[p]t

• Wise One
    tember2, Good point. You're right but they make a cleaner that will take it off immediately. If you're going to stain unweathered wood it is advisable to clean it with the bleach/cleaner or else you wind up with splotchy stain. But you can always have it stained by grease and meat the way mine is getting stained (also blotchy).

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Greg Nicholas,[p]I would advise you to build your own. I built the standard table as shown on BGE site with clear cedar. The wood cost me 75.00 and another 6 bucks for galv deck screws. Assembly took around 2.5 hours. Can't beat it.

• Wise One, obviously this won't help you guys since you have already made your tables, so this is for sake of other readers. Treated wood comes two ways commonly refered to as green or brown. True, the green which is most commonly used for decks has to cure and are a pain to stain. Brown on the other hand is already surface coated with a stain. It costs 45% more, but the trade off is it is a higher grade of lumber to begin with so it normally is free of knotholes and other less desireable traits. What is nice about it too is that after your project is completed you can buy the very same stain to recoat the whole table and especially the "white" cut ends. Olympia makes the pigmented stain and the brown treated wood. Menards carries both. No waiting to cure, no blotched appearance, but an even colored beautiful table will be worth the added cost...heck, considering what you paid for your egg what's another $30 or $40 to have a nice brown table/cart vs the often twisted and sassy green treated wood? ^oo^~

• Wise One
    one feral kat, thanks. I hadn't seen that before but now I'll know to look for it. I agree that could save me a lot of time and aggrevation. I guess the only thing to remember is to get a small amount of stain when you buy the wood since obviously the cuts will not be stained and you probably want to cover those in immediately. Boy, the things you learn on this forum.

• Wise One, well, that's sort of what I was alluding to about the added cost. The stain only comes by the gallon and runs about $20. That's ok though because after you get done you'll want a uniform color so you'll want to stain the whole thing anyway. Again, it is a pigmented stain and in the can it looks sort of a rust color, but on the wood it has a rich, warm hue. You'll like it. The added benefit of knowing in advance that you intend to recoat it all then you can knowingly select boards which may have gotten scuffed. Heck, before I found out about the stain being available I must have sorted through 100s of boards at Menards trying to only get the perfect coated pieces. ^oo^~

• one feral kat,
    Thanks for the tip, but I don't think there are any Menards this far South and I haven't seen it at Home Depot or Lowes.

• I enjoyed your egg table information. Do you have or will you direct me to the egg table site with builing instructions, and material list.
    Many Thanks

• Greg Nicholas,
    The materials to build this table cost less than the price of the cheesie tables from BGE. The frame is made from standard 2x4s and the outside wood is all cedar. I just started with an idea of what I wanted and just started cutting and made it up as I went along. Alot of time was spent working on it but time spent woodworking in the garage isn't really work.
    Good luck,eggman

• OK I give up. Where is my picture? Look at my profile to see the table in question.
    See ya,Eggman

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Eggman
    <p />Eggman,
    I hope this works.
    YB

• YB
    eggpic.jpg
    <p />Eggman,
    If this does not work maybe Tim M.will help.
    YB

• YB,
    Now thats a serious table! Great job.
    Big Cat

• YB
    Big Cat,
    The table belongs to Eggman,i just posted the picture for him,but i agree it looks great.
    YB