Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about start-up time on an Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't own an Egg, but am carefully considering whether I want a Big Green Egg to replace a smoker and two charcoal grills that I would dispose of. I would use it for a grill and also to smoke briskets and butts. [p]First Question: If I were to cook a steak for dinner, how long would it take to start the charcoal and get the temp up high enouch to sear the steak, i.e. about how many minutes?

Comments

• Chuck/Tx,
    Mine will go from 0 to 350-400 degrees in 10-15 minutes, for T-Rexing plan on about 20-30 minutes.
    360 guy-gary

• 360 guy, I'm new to this. Would you tell me what T-Rexing is? When I start regular charcoal in a chimney, it takes at least 30 minutes for the coals to start burning and ash over, and additional time for the cooker to warm up, before I can put a steak on (cooked one tonight on a Kettle). I've been informed that most people use lump in an Egg. Does it start faster, or is there some other way you fire up the Egg that is faster than I can fire up a Kettle?

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    P8100194.JPG
    <p />Chuck/Tx,[p]TRexing is the only way to cook a steak on The Big Green Egg. Check out The Whiz's tutorial at the link below.
    [ul][li]How to TRex[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I have a large and a small and am able to get a nice hot fire fairly quickly (15-20mins). There are times when I have to have the fire hot more quickly and I have been known to cheat a little by using an old hair dryer to force air into the bottom vent.
    JNK

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    15 to 20 minutes on the large. (700+) Sometimes longer on the small. As noted below a small fan will help.[p]Toy Man
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Where in Texas are you? We'd better see you at Lake Travis in May! If not,....although it's a big state, ...we have our ways of finding you. Chubby is quite the bloodhound.....and, he also is renown for having no morals or ethics. So, you should just come clean now and reveal your location, or risk humiliating your parents, wife and kids at a later date. I'm passing this information along to you for your own good.[p]Lawn "Good Samaritan" Ranger

• ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 26
    Options
    It would likely depend on your fire starting method. I use the electric coil starter and I set the kitchen timer for 7 minutes (its usually at ~ 180 F but it quickly climbs so I need to take out the coil), with vents fully-open it should get to 600 F in another 5 minutes.

Life is so much easier with an Egg...
  • GrillMeister, that is very interesting. I'll try it. Thanks.

• LawnRanger, hey, I'm not hiding. LOL I live in Lakeway, a community on Lake Travis. I learned about the Egg Fest yesterday that will be on Lake Travis on May 19-21 and plan to attend. At this point, I'm am only considering buying an Egg, i.e. I don't have one. The discount in conjunction with the Egg Fest is a nice enticement.

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    You'll never, ever be sorry. Look forward to meeting you.[p]Mike

• LawnRanger, Mike, do you live in Texas also?

• Chuck/Tx,
    There are many different methods people us to light their Eggs that would effect how fast it goes. I still use my old reliable chimney I used on my kettle. The kind of lump you use would also effect how fast you can up to temp too. I can tell you using the same lump and chimney, I can't tell I get my Egg up to temp any faster than I did with my kettle. However, I get the Egg a LOT hotter than I used to get the kettle for searing purposes in about the same amount of time, and I never have problems with my fire (starting to) go out like I used to have with my kettle. But I would say I notice it getting up to temp a little faster if I'm just cooking burgers and brats or something like that. It's maybe a few minutes faster, but barely worth mentioning. And there's much less ash to boot (my biggest complaint with my old kettle).[p]I cooked on a kettle for 16 years. I've had my Egg for 7 months. I will never cook on a kettle again. It's just a better experience overall, and not just a little better. It's a night and day difference. Not trying to push you or anything, just thought I'd share my experience since we seem to have similar cooker backgrounds.[p]BigDave

• Chuck/Tx,[p]
    About 3 seconds if you follow the technique in the following link. :-)[p]See also http://www.interweavers.com/brett/humor/dave-barry.html#picnic

[ul][li]Real man's approach to lighting charcoal[/ul]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Right down the road in San Antonio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    sunsets.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,
    the large takes about 20 minutes and the small takes twice as long. about 60 seconds with a weed burner and 1 beer later and its ready. you do need to keep an eye on it because the temp can really get up there if you forget to check it in 20

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    About one beer. (sorry fishlessman)
    Happy Irish day to ya.

• Thanks to all you guys for answering my question. I was amazed at how many people answered. Got a laugh or two out of the answers by people with a sense of humor. Much appreciated.