Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis BBQ Restaurant Suggestions

Going to be in Memphis for couple days with friends you have any good rib places that locals go to?  Not really interested in Corky's or Rendezvous, looking for less touristy BBQ joints.  Also, curious if places like Interstate and Memphis BBQ Company are any good?  

As always appreciate your help!

Howard

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Interstate is good but I'd go to Central BBQ (the original on Central Ave.), Germantown Commissary, BBQ Shop(pp sand on texas toast), Paynes (daytime only).  Neeley's is good as well but the others are my tops spots.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • I spent a week in Memphis last month for work. I highly recommend making the trip to Memphis Barbeque company. The service was top notch, very knowledgeable staff, quick service. I tried a variety of different things and all were good. I would recommend the fried cheese app (not sure the exact name), the dry ribs, and the brisket. Good luck!
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    My brother and sister in law lived in Memphis till last year. We've been to most of them. My favorite is Interstate. To this day I use their nacho recipe. Low key, just good bbq. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    edited April 2015
    Gus's Fried Chicken, not BBQ & full of tourists but delicious none the less
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Blue City Cafe
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    I prefer Interstate or G'town Commissary, but any place in Memphis is better than anything around where I live!
    Mamaroneck
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Cozy Corner.  It's the real deal.  Family owned and run for over 25 years.  The neighborhood must be safer now than it was when I lived there.  At that time, it was only open until 30 minutes before sundown. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    henapple said:
    Blue City Cafe
    You must have been drunk...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I lived in Memphis for 6 years.  I would recommend Central BBQ for their nachos, pp, and brisket.  Interstate has the best pork and beef ribs plus BBQ spaghetti.  I would recommend at least going to Rendezvous bar and getting their cheese and sausage platter.  Gus's has some of the best fried chicken you will ever eat.  The Majestic Grille has fantastic food as well.  I love their pork tenderloin.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    @henapple is correct on Blues City. The ribs used to be fantastic. A lot of the servers actually left the Vous and went to work at Blues City.  The BBQ shop is my vote as you can't beat their pulled pork on texas toast. Central BBq is mediocre. Cozy Corner is good, it's sliced pork not pulled and their hot bbq sauce is great.
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    There's no accounting for taste. Germantown commissary and Central BBQ are my go to places. I really don't like Interstate and Nellys. Gus Chicken is overrated but its defenitly better than other places.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited April 2015
    What Charles Vergos' Rendezvous?   I went 17 years ago and it was great.  Maybe it is considered too commercialized???
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    henapple said:
    Blue City Café
    Last time I was there an older gentleman, who worked at the Peabody, keep telling us that Blues City is where all the locals go for ribs. I did not listen to him. We went to Rendezvous, across the street for ribs. Tough as a pair of my boots, we left.  

Final on our last full day. Went to Blues City Café and had the best ribs ever.

He was right.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • It's been a year or so, but I think there was a hamburger joint called Hardees that had a pretty good BBQ cheeseburger...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Well now I am thinking we may stop by Blues City Café on the way N GA MTN Eggfest in May for ribs.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MemRubes
    MemRubes Posts: 36
    As a current Memphian and frequenter of Memphis BBQ joints I can't recommend more highly the BBQ Shop on Madison. Their BBQ spaghetti can't be beat. Their ribs are some of the best as well! Central on Central for Nachos (for an interesting taste ask for them on their homemade BBQ chips). Cozy Corner has the best cornish hen in the world. They had a fire not to long ago and are trying to rebuild, but they have opened up across the streat in a temporary location. Seriously, that cornish hen is sooo good! Gus's is good for fried chicken, but I'd recommend Uncle Lou's near the airport if you want something unique and spicy.
  • Memphis barbecue company is excellent.  Interstate is some of the best I've has as well.  Haven't been to central barbecue yet.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I live in N MS and I see no need to go further than Memphis Barbecue in Southaven. The others are good, just not worth the drive. IMO
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Hotch said:
    henapple said:
    Blue City Café
    Last time I was there an older gentleman, who worked at the Peabody, keep telling us that Blues City is where all the locals go for ribs. I did not listen to him. We went to Rendezvous, across the street for ribs. Tough as a pair of my boots, we left.  

Final on our last full day. Went to Blues City Café and had the best ribs ever.

He was right.

Same thing here on the Rendezvous
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    The one and only time I have been to Rendevous the food was mediocre at best. Would rather have ribs from Chiles.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • I have traveled to Memphis for work from time to time over the past 8 years and I do have a few favorites. I have to say that Central BBQ is my favorite for BBQ. Some of the others have said it but I feel the need to repeat it. Gus's fried chicken is the absolute best fried chicken I've ever eaten. Do yourself a favor and make some time to go there. I wouldn't miss Gus's for anything when I go to Memphis. I also enjoy the Germantown BBQ and if you want something delicious but different, go to Uncle Lou's by the airport. Another great place that's different is Tom's Bar-B-Q and deli, also near the airport. If you go there get the rib tips, they are an awesome meal. That's my 2 cents. Wherever you go....enjoy the awesome food in Memphis!

Bob
  • If I were going to hit one place, it would be The Commissary. Miss that place! Hey @ksmyrl would you mind sharing that nacho recipe?
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @2putts4par. I substitute my own sauce and rub or southern soul dust instead of Nealys. I also use more cheese and some franks hot sauce. But this will get you started. 

1 bag tortilla chips
    1/2 cup Neelys Barbecue Seasoning, (I use my own rub here)
    6 ounces chopped pork, Or more...who's counting. 
    4 ounces Neelys Barbecue Sauce, (your favorite sauce)
    4 ounces nacho cheese, melted (I use up to 8 or 10 oz. and I often mix the cheeses)
    1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapenos, drained (fresh is better)

Layer chips in a pile on a platter. Sprinkle with Seasoning. Spread pork on top of chips. Sprinkle with seasoning again and pour sauce onto meat.  Top with cheese. Repeat for at least 2 layers. Top final layer with cheese. Warm in oven or egg at 350 for about 15 min or until cheese is bubbling. 

Slap yo mama stuff. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA