Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella pan

Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a recipe that requires a paella pan. Since my wife is a potter I was thinking of asking her to make one that would fit the inside of a large egg with handles that go "up" instead of "out". Does anyone know if paella pans must be metal or any drawbacks to a ceramic paella pan?

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Rich,
    I've never heard of a ceramic paella pan, but that
    doesn't mean it couldn't work. There is some good
    information at http://paellapans.com/ , and if you
    just google "paella pans" there is loads of information
    available. Good luck.
    Chuck

• crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Rich,[p]You can also go to 'latienda.com' and look under 'paella supplies.'
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    GaDawg,
    I should have put in my original posting that I tried searching the internet. I found a lot of stuff on Paella pans but nothing on ceramic paella pans.
    Thanks,
    Rich

• Rich,
    Glazed terracotta paella pans are very common. In Spain (Valencia) at small out of the way restaurants, that is how paella is typically served. Metal pans are more prevalent in larger more commercial restaurants
    The terracotta holds the heat longer than metal pans, and allows for a more leisurely dinner.
    I use an aluminum pan that I found at a small Latin market around the corner from my house, it happens to fit just right.
    Try searching for “cazuelas” this will give you a good idea what they look like. Maybe she can also make a “tagine” while she is at it.[p]Pete

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Rich,
    with the carbonsteel pans the cooking will stop once you remove it from the heat, the ceramic would continue cooking and may burn the bottom of the rice dish. there is a fine line between the bottom layer getting chewy (good) verse burnt rice. the carbon steel ones also have a dimpled bottom for holding extra oil

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it