Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked good!

Options
I've only used BGE charcoal and RO.  Wife got me some wicked good weekend warrior from our egg distributor this weekend.

I did a 10 hour brisket low and slow.  I went out tonight to start the egg for some wings/ABTs and there must have been 3/4 of the original charcoal left in there from the weekend.

very impressed with Wicked good.  Big chunks, lasted long time, not hard to start using MAPP torch.

I'm a a believer!!
Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    WGWW had been quite highly regarded for years.  However, a couple of years ago they had a serious supplier/quality issue (details eggscape me).  Within the past 12-18 months they have gotten things back on track and your eggsperience is quite typical of what you will get from that lump.  BTW, it is quite neutral in smoke flavor if that's an important quality for you.  Great buy from SWMBO.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Give their "Jake's Blend" a try. 

You won't be disappointed.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolan8v I have RW and WGWW available. What is the WG Jake's Blend (similar to the old competition blend)?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    It's nice but man takes forever to light.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolan8v disregard. I answered my own question via the interwebs. That sounds like a pretty cool blend of lump. Might have to grab a bag sometime.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Interesting that not sold in Missouri or Kansas, but about everywhere else. Closes to me is Iowa.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Interesting that not sold in Missouri or Kansas, but about everywhere else. Closes to me is Iowa.

Everywhere else 80 miles away from my house. I'd really like to do a pallet of that stuff.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Only used BGE before wicked good. It does last a lot longer. Use it in the mini max it's like all still there. Great stuff,now I have to find it in central Florida. My brother brought me one of each bag weekend warrior and jakes blend. Only tried weekend warrior so far.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @caliking thinks Wicked Good is Wicked Awesome!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    If you're looking for a dealer in central Oklahoma for WGWW, the local Ace Hardware (independent owner) in Yukon, Ok. is now stocking it.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I picked up two bags of Jakes Blend over the weekend. Haven't cooked with it yet but the bag is 22 pounds and smaller than an 18lb bag of Royal Oak, so it' must be a good bit more dense. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    I just picked up a bag of jakes blend and if cost me 30 bucks tax included. Is that high or what? The guy told me he gets it from his dealer for 18. Over 50% markup? Really? Or am I just being a drama queen? Seems like I've heard people on here getting it for a good price
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I pay $23, your price is high. In Seattle our prices on anything generally higher.
    Seattle, WA
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Yeah I thought it was pretty dumb. Guess I'll have to see about getting it online somewhere 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    in Vancouver 22lb bag 30$ Cdn. Price is gonna jump to 45$. Damn cheap oil. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Jakes blend is 28 plus tax here.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    You can get it directed from wicked good I think. Just bing it and there site comes up .
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    stompbox said:
    @stompbox , where is 'here'?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    in Vancouver 22lb bag 30$ Cdn. Price is gonna jump to 45$. Damn cheap oil. 
    Stick with sugar maple or maple leaf. Price shouldn't go up too bad cause they are Canadian products. 
    GWN
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Wished my Ace Hardware would start carrying it again!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • stompbox
    Options
    Shiff said:
    stompbox said:
    @stompbox , where is 'here'?
    Central PA.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Jake's blend is $24 for a 22# bag just south of Nashville, TN.  It's what I use and I'm happy with it.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Jakes Blend was 24.95 at the Ace in Cary NC, though it was on sale for 21.95 last weekend.  I bought two bags, but should have bought more.  
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Used Jakes blend this week. Really like it. Has a nice smoke smell to it. I used it in the MM it lit up quick and easy. 
  • GrillsGoneWild
    Options
    I was a devout WGWW fan and recently tried the Jake's Blend. I like it just as well, but I am into my second bag, and the stuff sparks like nuts on lighting.  I light my egg using a propane or MAPP gas torch, and I have started wearing safety glasses to light it. Never had to do that before with the WW or the BGE lump.  Once it is lit though, its a champ.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    beatarmy said:
    I've only used BGE charcoal and RO.  Wife got me some wicked good weekend warrior from our egg distributor this weekend.

I did a 10 hour brisket low and slow.  I went out tonight to start the egg for some wings/ABTs and there must have been 3/4 of the original charcoal left in there from the weekend.

very impressed with Wicked good.  Big chunks, lasted long time, not hard to start using MAPP torch.

I'm a a believer!!
    After only using BGE for awhile, i bought a bag of Frontier from Lowes. It didn't seem to be much different that BGE.  Then I bought a bag of generic, made in Mexico, oak lump from a Kamado Joe dealer (they happened to be next door to a butcher shop I drove to, to buy some pork belly).  Anyway, I just recently started using it, and like the third time I went to pull some lump from it to refill my BGE, I encountered a log.  A chunk about 4" diameter and about 6" long.  So in the egg it went.  didn't seem to have any issues with it burning when cooking my meatloaf, but as I haven't opened my egg since shutdown, I don't know how much of it burned.  It will be interesting to see how long I can identify that large chunk, i.e. how many cooks before it is as small as other pieces of lump.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tisoypops
    Options
    Thanks for the help yall..  I just saw that you can order online from them directly and get two bags of whichever blend for 13.25 each. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is shipping super expensive? I did notice that it sparked at first, more than the other brands I've tried. It is really dense though.  And seems to take longer to light. But it's super hot. Got up to 600 with the DFMT still on but slid open, and the bottom vent open 1/8 of an inch. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I just checked the shipping rate to my home direct from Wicked Good. Fed Ex Ground was $41.16 for two bags of lump totaling 44 lbs. There were no other options for shipping to choose from. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • stompbox
    Options
    Yeah the shipping is very expensive. When I tried it, my costs were $28 per bag to have it shipped to my house. So it is the same cost as going to my local place and giving them business.   No Brainerd for me, help out the locals.