Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Cybercook

I'm using my Ipad to keep an eye on things with the Cybercook app. If I turn off the screen, it disconnects from my Guru. Is this the way it's supposed to work. I'm a bit concerned about screen burn in leaving it on for 10 hours. What say you?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,025
    Not your exact answer, but what Ipad do you have?  Image retention was only an issue on a small portion of first run retina display ipads.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Ipad 2, thanks
    Atlanta GA. 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2015
    That is definitely the intended behavior. In earlier versions of CyberCook you had to go into the general setting for your iPad and turn off the setting to Auto-Lock the iPad after xx minutes. This allowed you to  keep CyberCook running in the front and would prevent the iPad from sleeping. Around about version 1.3.1 the developer added the feature where if CyberCook was the front most app, it disabled the auto lock feature. Just be sure your iPad is plugged in to AC power for a long cook. If you switch to another app the auto lock feature reverts to its standard setting. Plus your session is ended.

Version 2 added a feature where you can resume a session if your iPad sleeps or you have Cybercook running in the background. You can resume any session with the last 24 hours. You do lose the data that wasn't recorded, but it joins the earlier and new data and treats them like one session.

As for screen burn-in, that is really a thing of the past particularly with CRT displays. Modern displays typically don't suffer burn-in.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,025
    Some release day ipad2's had image retention issues.  As Jim noted it is not burn in like older phosphorous tech.

Even if your screen has ghosting it is not permanent and will eventually go away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NoobZero
    Cool! Thanks guys.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • NoobZero
    One more question, does CyberCook have a graph that shows what happened during the session? If so, how do you access it?
    Atlanta GA. 
  • NoobZero
    Never mind, I found it.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2015
    I was taking some Brunswick Stew I made yesterday afternoon on the road, so I didn't see your question when you originally posted it. I am going to offer up  and addition tip. I never have need for the third food probe, so I use it to add an outside air temperature reading to my graphs. I stick the third probe through one of the slots in the adaptable metal base so the tip is in mid-air. You don't want this probe to be in contact with any work surfaces because they may heat up slower or faster than the air. Then when you are setting up your session in CyberCook, rename that probe to "Outside Air Temp" or something similar. The output of that probe will be labled on your session graph will the name you gave it.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.