Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First 3-1-1 Ribs on the BGE

Options
Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I went to the local Costco, and picked up two slabs of Ribs. I wanted to to try my hand at some St. Louis Style ribs. I read ThirdEye's entry on his playing with fire and smoke Blog, and trimmed accordingly this morning. I did a rub of DP Dizzy Dust, yellow mustard, and more DP Dizzy Dust. [p]I have my Egg Stabilized at about 250 dome, and I have been cooking for just about 1 1/2 hours. I have about another 1 1/2 left before I switch to the 1 - 1 1/2 hour foil stage. [p]When I go to foil the ribs I was thinking of doing a bit of brown sugar and Honey on the top of the ribs, and about 1 cup of Apple Juice in the pouch, then retuning them at 250 indirect. [p]Any advice for the indirect pouch or finishing stage? I want to make sure I get these right so I can stop paying $20.00 for my wife to get ribs at smokey bones.[p]-- Joshua

Comments

• Joshua Kane,
    Smother them in mustard.[p]french's brand mustards.[p][p]Mmmm mmmmmmmmmm tasty.[p]Have u tried big grene egg seasoning's yet? Pretty good rubs there.[p]Papa

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    mostly i just cook them direct, but sometimes i make those fall off the bones candy ribs. your plan sounds good, i usually go direct for the last part of the cook with temps rising. dont go by exact times for the last hour, its more of a judgement call when they are done and thats why we take samples during the cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Joshua Kane,[p]A little tip I picked up from Stogie was to make sure that as much meat as possible comes into contact with your braising liquid so wrap them in individual foil pouches and with the meaty side down.[p]Make sure you save the juices, it will make a wonderful table sauce. I like to reduce it on the stove, adjusting seasoning as needed, while the ribs are finishing.[p]Post a pic if you have time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    Sounds purty god Joshua. Only thing that stands out to me is the apple juice. Personally that sounds like a lot of liquid to me. I would skip the apple juice all together, but that's just me.[p]I don't foil ribs much anymore, but when I used to, it seemed like the key was to keep checking them in the foil and trying to judge when they are almost done. Nothing like opening the foil pouch and having the things fall apart on you. Getting them from the foil to the grill again is not a problem if you take them out before they are too done. I guess what I am saying is the 1.5 hours is just a guideline. Let the ribs talk to you!![p]Okay...I do believe it is 5:30. Maybe out in the Atlantic somehwere, but that's good enough for me. A cold one is calling!![p]Chicken goes on in 90 minutes. Have a good weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Hey Chris ....I see you don't foil anymore. The only reason I foil is, if I don't, I find the tips of my ribs get overcooked to the point of tossing some out. Maybe I am just cooking too many that tend to overhang past the plate setter. Are you rotating often or are you cooking just 1 or 2 full racks? I tend to cook 2 packages (6 ribs) cut St Louis style, then the next day I cook the sterum portion. [p]Hey ....are you looking forward to another Tiger Woods season, maybe wining 6 contests in 2006 :-)[p]Take care,
    Howard