Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Sauce

After having my egg almost 3 years, I'm finally making pizza. I didn't want to make the dough so I grabbed some from Trader Joes (thanks to recommendations on this forum). 

Do do most of you make your sauce or buy it?  Which ones?

Thx
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a recipe that RRP has been perfecting over the years.

Pizza, Sauce, RRP

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes.  It started out as a salt free one that an egger named Spin posted here 11 years ago. Since then I've tweaked it a bit to our liking

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1 Ozs Pkg Fresh basil
    3 Tbs dried basil
    1 1/2 Tsps Dried oregano
    3/4 cup chardonnay
    3/4 cup fresh minced onion
    3 Tsp Minced garlic
    3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces
    1 6 Ozs Can tomato paste
    2 Tsps California style garlic salt
    1/2 Tsps Freshly ground pepper (about 12 good half grinds PER layer)

PROCEDURE:

First Step:

1. Steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

2. In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

3. Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

4. Package in ½ cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Recipe Type: Sauce

Tips
    Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks.

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2011/08/25

Author Notes
    2011/09/21--RRP--Thanks for posting it for me, Richard! I have continued to tweak this recipe. I've found that instead of 3 teaspoons of minced garlic we much prefer it to be chopped garlic, but not minced which is equal to 5 nice cloves. Also White Zinfandel instead of chardonnay seems to blend better. BTW in August I made 2 batches while the homegrown ROMAs were available and that effort produced 25 bags for pizzas into next year. Trust me this sauce freezes very well!

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Most people tomato sauce but I use salsa since I always have some in the frig.  I concentrate on the toppings and not on sauce.   pizzas are great on the egg, endless possibilities !!!  enjoy

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I make the sauce that's in the BGE cookbook. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Since you are using Trader Joe dough, you could also pick up a jar of Trader Joe Pizza Sauce at the same time.  It is pretty good, although I am sure that the RRP recipe would be much better.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    I make my own sauce and dough.  Here is the recipe for the sauce:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Its easy to make, and very good.  I use Cento San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Thanks everyone. I look forward to trying both sauces out. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Props if you make your own, as I make my own tomato sauce, but when it comes to pizza sauce I can't do any better than Don Pepino.  It's authentic, legit, with just the right flavor for me.  Anything else I try pre-made doesn't compare.   It's not too sweet, too oregeney, too nothing.  Perfect!  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I make my own, quick, easy & simple.
    one 8 oz can tomato sauce
    one 6 oz can tomato paste
    I find this combination whisked together makes the right consistency for a pizza sauce (not too thick, not too thin, but just right).
    Then I add some dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, & a little cayenne powder.
    No need to cook it, just whisk it all really well and then spread it on your pizza dough.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I usually pick up a 28oz can of the San Marzano tomatoes from my local grocery store (Publix) and make it using the following recipe:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_sauce_recipe.html
    YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUfjVuIXXY

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    KiterTodd said:
    Props if you make your own, as I make my own tomato sauce, but when it comes to pizza sauce I can't do any better than Don Pepino.  It's authentic, legit, with just the right flavor for me.  Anything else I try pre-made doesn't compare.   It's not too sweet, too oregeney, too nothing.  Perfect!  :plus_one:

If I'm using sauce this is the sauce to use.

Mostly I use freshly sliced tomato and spices along with the other ingredients when doing homemade pizza.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    We have gotten to the point that we make our own and it is quite simple;

1 can peeled roma  or pomodoro tomatoes 
    4TB evoo
    4-6 garlic cloves 
    S&P to  taste
    1/4-1/2 cup water
    Italian blend seasoning if you can't get fresh basil and oregeno
    and depending on the tomato acidity, maybe a touch of sugar

crush the garlic
    in 1/2 of the evoo cook garlic until starting to brown
    add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes
    Crush the tomatoes with a potato masher
    add S&P, seasoning and remaining evoo
    reduce by 1/3, cool for pizza or serve hot over your favorite pasta

cool until you are ready to use it on Pizza, spaghetti, meatballs, whatever ... we also cook our meatballs in this sauce. YUMMMM!!!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Thanks again everyone.  I'm about to post pics of the cook.

is the "Don Pepino"available at most places?  It doesn't look familiar. Thx
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    KiterTodd said:

And they sell this stuff on Amazon Prime.  :)  I might have to try it.  Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Pizza sauce is undervalued in my mind.  I've always made my own - takes less than 30 seconds start to finish.  Stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, spices.  Vitamix for 3 seconds - bang done.  

but....

Simmer it on the stove for a couple hours and it's a game changer - imho.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is usually my sauce:

The man has knife skills..... and all his fingers - hats off.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm not bad with a knife, but in all honesty, I stole that picture off the interwebz ;)

Point is I like fresh tomato on my pizza!
    I suppose that makes you an honest plagiazer.  I was impressed, you should have let it ride.

+2 for fresh tomatoes.
    Phoenix