Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning/sorting the lump

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to clean out the lump from the firebox? After several cooks I end up with a lot of small pieces of lump not much bigger than pebbles that clog my air holes. Currently, I have to scoop it all out by hand and sort the "pebbles" from the bigger pieces. I end up with soot all up my arms. There has to be a better way. I have even thought about building a wire mesh basket that I could just lift it all out with but leave it in for cooks. [p]Does anybody have a better way than just doing it by hand? I know I could use rubber gloves but that isn't much better and I never have them around.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    edbro,[p]I have one multipurpose tool: I've found that a gardener's hand trowel, one of the ones with a blade about 3 inches wide by six long, is a great tool for scooping out the lump from the Egg. A shorter handle would be helpful and I'm sure someone could improve it for this purpose if they put their mind to it. This tool also makes a pretty good grill lifter if you insert it at just inside the outer ring of the grill, and its convenient to nudge the daisywheel when you need to. [p]For sorting - I use a garden screen. That is, a round wood frame with hardware cloth of whatever size mesh is appropriate. Put it over a metal trash can and scoop the lump into it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edbro,
    I have obtained a piece of expanded stainless steel that I use for my grate. I just stir the lump around and what falls through I rake out. There is no problem with clogging air holes since the whole grate is an air hole practically.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Haggis,[p]I use a laddle that I bought in ChinaTown with my wok....it is round and slightly smaller than the fire grate......works perfect for cleaning out old and nasty lump. Paul
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    edbro,
    Each time I cook, I stir the remaining coals with the bge tool so that all the ash falls through.[p]I built a box with a 2x4 frame that sets on my ash bucket. I used a 1" square wire grid.[p]Next, I use a small shovel to remove the remaing lump coals. The lump that remains in the box, I return to the bge.[p]

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Nessmuk,
    Very practical. I think I'll build something like that. The hand shovel is a good idea also.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0140.jpg
    <p />edbro, here's a pix of my shaker plus the handliest container made for dumping in lump - it's a new but old style coal bucket. The snout design delivers the lump in cleanly!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nessmuk
    RRP,
    My creation is exactly like yours. The grids in the wire were originally 1/2 inch. I cut them to 1 inch & that works better.[p]

• Nessmuk
    Haggis,
    Hardware cloth is a better product than wire. I wished I had known about it.[p]I will reconstruct my invention.[p]The bge wire proves to be the best learning tool I know of.[p]BGE could solve the problem by installing a shakable grate in the bge. All wood/coal stoves had them. You simply shook the grate with the poker.[p]I do this every Sunday when I go to the woods & fire up my pot belly stove circa the early 1900s as it served the railroad stations.[p]It is so well designed in that no matter what wood you feed it, the venturi effect causes it to burn like a torch. I have a thermometer stuck on the side. It typically burns at 1000 degrees plus...no matter what kind of wood.[p]
    Keep posting[p]